Coolant Setups

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Coolant Setups

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 am

eBay has very cheap stainless steel funnels.

Get several. I don't ever pour alc through plastic unless its heads or fores that I'm turfing.

You want to start saving every spirit bottle you can get and if you can get 2L flagons from any of your contacts over there then guard them like gold.

For cuts just get any clean jars. I remove the labels and number mine. But as long as its a wide mouth jar (I find stubbies or wine bottles for cuts take longer to air.)

Before I got my shed set up this is what my outside table looks like for cuts jars during the run, no special equipment other than clean jars and rubber bands and paper towels:

I run three hoses from my water tank using a dirty water pump from bunnings, cost $99 and it's 750w:

http://m.bunnings.com.au/OurRange/Searc ... mp/4813555

And this is the outside of the shed returning the water:

BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Whiskey Business

Postby Brendan » Thu May 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Grandvewe wrote:can anyone give me equipment advice for the rest of the parts I need just like the tips above that u find best. I.e collection jars, parrot styles, best alcometers, hose and water setups (I'm on tank water so will b needing a pump to return water to tanks). Funnels?

I have been reading various equipment tips throughout this forum but if u know a product or process during the run u really think works well I'd love to know.

Check out The Distilling Yellow Pages, there's a big list of different equipment used and where to obtain it :handgestures-thumbupleft: You can get a lot of quality and cheap glassware including funnels, stirring rods, and collection jars from Lab Direct which are in Sydney, but freight all their glassware at a reasonable price.

And you can't really beat the range (and price) of pumps at Bunnings...I don't think there's any need to go to a specialty irrigation place...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Grandvewe » Thu May 16, 2013 7:59 pm

Thanks for making the effort to post pics of your setup ByardBrewer. Extremely helpful and has given me some good ideas with the hose setup. Is that a 6 inch column?

Brendan - Thanks for posting those links, I didnt know about those and thats exactly what I need! :text-thankyoublue:
:text-thankyoublue:
Grandvewe

equipment: FSD Pot still off a 50L Keg with gin basket

Whiskey Business

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:11 pm

Grandvewe wrote:Thanks for making the effort to post pics of your setup ByardBrewer. Extremely helpful and has given me some good ideas with the hose setup. Is that a 6 inch column?

Nope it's a 4" bubbler built by Mr-E, a member of this here forum.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Linno » Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Grandvewe wrote:Thank's for the pics guys, love seeing other people's setups. That is a very good idea putting the cut out board over the still, nice touch!

Now that I have the still decision sorted (modular pot still professing up to a bubbler) can anyone give me equipment advice for the rest of the parts I need just like the tips above that u find best. I.e collection jars, parrot styles, best alcometers, hose and water setups (I'm on tank water so will b needing a pump to return water to tanks). Funnels?

I have been reading various equipment tips throughout this forum but if u know a product or process during the run u really think works well I'd love to know.

Thanks in advance

i just got 50 350ml glass jars for cuts from a catering joint only 40 bucks

you can get a good pump from bunning for bout 70 bucks that works well to circulate water well for a bubbler from a tank.....mine is 1000lt

i have seen a few good SS funnels for sale online too..

great to see you go with the modular pot mate.. means you can add to it and slowly buil up yet still use your kit the whole time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Grandvewe » Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 pm

So to save creating a huge plumbing setup in trying to return water to our main tanks which are about 3m higher than the still and about 50m away in distance.

So if im going to use the pump from Bunnings that Byard Brewer suggested, I was thinking to buy a small poly tank next to the still and cycle the water through the condensers.

SO my question, Can you guys please recommend a minimum size tank I should use. I would imagine if it was too small than the water would end up being too warm as it ran through the condenser?

Thanks in advance
Grandvewe

Postby bt1 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Bloke,

In SA on a shitty most off Summer arvo 1000lt does my bubblers without issue. Your ambient would be much lower but I can not calc so go with what I know works.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Tue May 28, 2013 9:54 pm

Even on a normal WA day that's generally hotter than a shitty SA day an IBC does the job..... fuck SA anyway :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 pm

Aren't IBC's a 1000lt in any case ?

could have sworn they where from reading..I don't use one.

bt1
bt1

Postby Brendan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Seeing as Grandvewe is looking at a commercial operation, maybe exceeding the 1000L might be a good idea to allow for multiple back to back runs from the same tank of water...but I don't know, I run a wheelie bin ;-)
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 pm

bt1 wrote:Aren't IBC's a 1000lt in any case ?

bt1

Now where's that gold star emo again? you deserve one :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Grandvewe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Thats a win for Tassie, the water stays nice and cold down here!

Does anyone know if a 300ltr would suffice?
Grandvewe

Postby Brendan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Grandvewe wrote:Thats a win for Tassie, the water stays nice and cold down here!

Does anyone know if a 300ltr would suffice?

Mate, I run a wheelie bin, which is 240L...and I can only recirculate for a single 4 plate run (1.5hrs)...if I need to do a 4-6hr spirit run for a neutral with 6 plates and a packed column, I need to run the outlet down the drain and get some cool tap water added back in.

That's not even mentioning doing a second run back to back.

So no, it will not suffice. I will be going to 1000L for my home setup. Considering you are talking commercial, I would think 1000L would be your absolute minimum...

My opinion anyway...
Brendan

Postby bt1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:22 pm

300lt under done,

cos I used 2 wheelie bins in early days so 2 x240lt max avg = 200lt so 400lt on a slow full spirit run coolant was well cooked...ok you can live with that?

try making 50+ bloody adjustments for coolant flow and see what it taste like.. pain in the arse!

Gives your alco meter plenty of exercise jumping up and down

simple is good= 1000lt

bt1
bt1

Postby Grandvewe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:26 pm

Thanks Brendan, thats very helpful.

hmmmm now I need to think how to save some cash and make a DIY 1000L water holding device.
May be an apple bin that holds water.
Grandvewe

Postby bt1 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 pm

mac's given you the answer an IBC

International Bulk Container

cheap as..you wouldn't even get excited for the price these go for.

bt1
bt1

Postby Grandvewe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:34 pm

BANG
THanks Mac and BT1

Might lock that idea in!
Grandvewe

Postby Brendan » Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Grandvewe wrote:Thanks Brendan, thats very helpful.

hmmmm now I need to think how to save some cash and make a DIY 1000L water holding device.
May be an apple bin that holds water.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it's what bt1 is getting at...I think I have heard of these going for $20-50...for a commercial setup, I would think that amount would be 'insignificant'...the only reason I don't have one at home is the inconvenience of the space it takes up...
Brendan

Re: Coolant Setups

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 28, 2013 11:40 pm

I use a 50 litre reservoir with a car radiator and fan.
So 50 litres is all you need.
I suspect you could use even less, but its all about condensing and thermal transfer.
I can run back to back runs with the same coolant.
With a pod, you have to run a pump, its not much more to run a $18 ceiling exhaust fan.
emptyglass

Postby skelty » Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 pm

MacStill wrote:Even on a normal WA day that's generally hotter than a shitty SA day an IBC does the job..... fuck SA anyway :laughing-rolling:

Man WA don,t have nearly as many hot days as SA.LOL they got a big air cond in WA called the pacific ocean,probally macs only been to MACAS and not SA :laughing-rolling: :violence-stickwhack:
skelty

equipment: IN PROCESS OF MAKING ME FIRST STILL...A POT STILL.....MMMMM BOURBON

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development