Thinking of Adding Column Extension to HBS Reflux Stil

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Thinking of Adding Column Extension to HBS Reflux Stil

Postby emzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi everyone, just after some advise if you can help.

See a pic of my current still at the bottom of this post if it helps.

I brought this HBS Reflux Still on ebay sometime ago and has worked pretty well for me to date being pretty new to this but i am sure it can be improved.

i was wondering if it would be worth adding a column extension between the still head and the boiler ?

If anyone has any suggestions if this is worth while and what diameter and length you would suggest ?

At the moment i have stainless steel gaze pack in the existing (mini) column, would copper be better or a combination of both ?

OR would the ceramic chips or marbles be more suitable ?

I understand you need copper in the system somewhere, i am pretty sure my still head is copper so that should be sorted in that aspect.

Just to clarify, the column extension below my still head, that would remain as an empty void correct ? or should that be also packed with a scrubber or some sort?

Sorry for so many questions in the one post as it all kind of relates to the same thing.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Last edited by 1 2many on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed link, becarefull adding links as you might show more than you realise.
emzy

equipment: Reflux Still

Re: Thinking of Adding Column Extension to Brewcraft Reflux

Postby emzy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:54 pm

sorry not sure if the image worked in my last post, see below.

emzy

equipment: Reflux Still

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:02 pm

You used to be able to buy the required extension but they no longer make them mate has a bought one its about 12 in long and 1 1/2 dia he reckons it improves his % reading
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby snapperhead » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:07 pm

would changing the plastic outlet tube from the P.C for copper, improves things too ?
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Return to Hardware Research & Development