2" butterfly valve

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

2" butterfly valve

Postby snapperhead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 pm

I have a 4 metre length of 2" copper pipe, and now I am thinking of putting VM/LM combo together. I have almost everything needed except the VM valve
A 2" valve of any kind is not within this builds budget, so while doing some bike maintenance, I had a thought about making a simple butterfly valve like on my bikes carbs.

Has anyone got experience trying this ? In my mind, its straightforward how to do it, reality may prove differently though.
butterfly valve.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

2" butterfly valve

Postby Rumdrinker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:26 pm

A 1" gate valve is more than adequate on a 2" VM, probably be ok using a 3/4" valve. At these sizes the $$ for a stainless valve is more reasonable

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Re: 2" butterfly valve

Postby snapperhead » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks RD
Yes I have read so many builds where people are using valves around the 1" size, mainly for budgetary reasons.
Read around a bit, with only hints of unfinished self built, butterfly things, but I am curious if anyone has done it yet.

I would much rather try and make a 2" butterfly for free (I have ample materials) than spend anything at first.
I would prefer to fail, in an attempt to do the best, than just settle on what's adequate straight away,

Now I am thinking about a reed/butterfly hybrid, damn my brain, where was that off switch, ahhh, honey bourbon to the rescue.
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Re: 2" butterfly valve

Postby Sam. » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

As long as you have fine control with it and any seals are going to handle the vapour (without leeching anything) then it should work :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Gate valves are so popular as they are relatively cheap and give a fine control of output :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Hardware Research & Development