Beer Stripper

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Beer Stripper

Postby stillwagon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:11 am

I need to build a 500 gallon beer stripper. I need to keep the cost down. I want the kettle to be stainless and the column can either be stainless or copper. The spirit run will be through my existing still. So what I am looking for is some creative ideas.
stillwagon

equipment: The still I use is a 50 gallon 4", packed, 14', copper column

Re: Beer Stripper

Postby crow » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:32 am

Ok first thing all raises my eyebrows is 500 gal boiler . Are you a commercial distiller as that is a huge volume, just under 1900 litres ( same as running 18 stnd beer kegs at a time)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Beer Stripper

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 am

Being that most of the members on this forum are home hobby distillers and only a few craft distillers on here you may struggle to find anyone with any experience in a still of that size. But I digress, personally I think for a wash of that volume you would be better off with continuous still. There is a small amount of information on this forum but if you do some some googling and watch some videos on you tube and you will get the idea.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby r.c.barstud » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:10 am

500 gals :scared-eek: :o holy schmoly!!! mate i think thats gonna be a custom made number for sure, most of us on here a used to small volumes, i would look around for a distillery that has shut up shop, i know a distillery at kingaroy closed down, but i have no idea if or where the equipment is.
r.c.barstud

equipment: Gas fired 50 litre pot still (common head) and 18 litre thumper.

Beer Stripper

Postby Dominator » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:04 am

If you have a look at stillwagon's profile there is a link to his website for his distillery in Oregon USA.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:58 am

Hi Stillwagon, I had a look at your website, nice idea with the barrels.
Anyway for a stripper how about a submarine still? Built with foodsafe materials of course. Easy to fabricate and will look the part if you start doing distillery tour groups once your business is up and running.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby stillwagon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:56 pm

I am not familiar with a submarine still. I have a friend that converted a used dairy tank into his beer stripper. But I haven't had much luck finding one reasonably priced and local enough to avoid outrageous shipping costs. So, I figure I will have to build it. I am just looking for good ideas, or something creative I may have not thought of yet.
stillwagon

Postby crow » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:11 pm

Ok well in that case you may be able to keep costs down by looking at ex dairy vats or wine tanks. I would think the vats would be better though as you might struggle to find a tank that is short enough at that copacity
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:16 pm

stillTypes5.jpg
Submarine still, traditional shine still made from iron sheets wrapped around wooden Sides,
Most people will recognize it from TVs Moonshiners.
If you used foodsafe materials.... Then I think one would be a showpeice.
I am.not suggesting using iron in it at all
kiwikeg

Postby stillwagon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:49 am

The submarine still would be quite a "period" looking piece. I would imagine high maintenance in the long run though.

Someone mentioned a continuous operation for stripping. What do you think of that?

I actually built one a couple of years ago with a pellet stove, a couple of stainless steel heat exchangers, and a 2" column. I completely forgot about that. It put out a continuous stream of 75% from a 15% wash. The problem I had was too much build up on the heat exchangers. But maybe a more gradual heat up would prevent scorching... It was originally designed for fuel production so taste was not a consideration at the time.
stillwagon

Postby crow » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:58 am

submarine stills would be a cheap option and I heard they made a really nice flavoured whiskey. I haven't ever seen the moonshiners show but the ones I've heard about are copper sheet wrapped around oak walls. From a marketing point of view I think they could work really well :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Edit There is a movie called "Lawless" about a bootleging operation during the pohabition yrs that shows some really nice examples of these. I have personally been thinking of different ways to use a wooden or semi wooden boiller for a few yrs myself expressly to replicate a Naval rum ;-)
crow

Postby halfbaked » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:49 am

stillwagon believe it or not ebay is full of what you are looking from. I know a guy in WV that has stuff like that also. Have you found what you are looking for?
halfbaked

equipment: still lookin

Postby stillwagon » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:23 am

Not yet. But thank you for the referral, I will look into it.

I am thinking about the continuous still for stripping. I could pump straight from my 500 gallon fermenter to a small boiler that would send the vapor to a column that gives me the product at a steady abv and volume, and the spent wash leaves the bottom of the column. It would be a matter of controlling feed and vapor temp. I think something along these lines would be more efficient for stripping and far less costly to build.
stillwagon

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 am

Alexander polianski (spelling? ) from ferromit.com sell a contunous stripper. I havnt seen it myself or used one but he built one of my fractional stills and its a solid well made industrial foodgrade beast that performed exactly as promised if that counts. Alex exports to the world.
http://www.ferromit.com/continuous%20still.html
kiwikeg

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 am

Better example of submarine but without the oak sides very interesting condenser 3:01 of way through video. I have never seen one like that usually the subs have a worm condenser.
Last edited by JayD on Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link code
kiwikeg

Postby Kimbo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 am

Holy crap thats a lot of mash! :angry-banghead:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:42 am

Check out Copper moonshine Stills 110 gal continues still
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Hardware Research & Development