Pot still design.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Pot still design.

Postby twobottles » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm

It seems everyone is out to rip us off in NZ for connectors fittings valves etc or im just not finding the right scrapyard but I have a piece of 50mm and was wondering if it is possible to make a 90degree bend in a pipe by cutting two pieces from the pipe and soldering the two joins. The thread on branch templates got me thinking and it mjght be quite easy to make the template for the part you need to remove and fold the pipe on a tiny slither left at the back then tack it with hard solder and finish it off with soft. Has anyone done this are there any major flaws here, I don't want to waste my pipe!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Pot still design.

Postby blond.chap » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:06 pm

Hey mate, might be simpler for you just cutting the pipe at a 45deg angle once, twisting it around the brazing, like this:
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3751.

It will have a little more resistance than a normal bend, but it'll do the job if you need to keep costs down.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby twobottles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:58 am

A bit like this then........

Nice one Blond chap. Yes I think this way is much simpler. the angle of the saw cuts would make the soldering problematic perhaps if done the other way. Isnt it amazing the simple pleasure of cutting filing and brazing pieces of copper to make a completely different shape from them!

Step by step something is growing in my head and in my garage. Ive read about it but it didn't happen to me until yesterday. I spent the whole day pretending to work whilst thinking about stills, design, copper, brazing, soldering and how to turn my measly pile of scrap into a pot still.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Postby blond.chap » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:37 am

Nice one mate, that looks about right.

It's certainly a problem, there's so much information, it can fill up your head and run circles in there.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby greenguy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:04 pm

what do u need and ware in new zealand are ya i can get copper at cost drop me a pm if ya like
all so most stainless dairy fittings
greenguy

equipment: Red neck pot still on gas-sooon to be retired
FSD 4' SSG 2x2400 watt FSD elements soon to be

Postby twobottles » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm

Wow. Cheers!

As for what I need, right now just a few bits n pieces so that I can strip washes a little faster.

As for what I'd like.......... well I think 4" copper would be a good start!

Will be in touch, thanks for the offer.
twobottles

Return to Hardware Research & Development