TIG Copper. My first try

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

TIG Copper. My first try

Postby luke777 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:09 pm

G'Day,
After contemplating for ages I decided to get some bits and pieces and try TIG-ing up some copper. Before I knew it I had spent ages fiddling and working some things out. It went OK but I have a lot to learn that's for sure.
coppertig001.jpg

As you can see I got carried away and went straight down to 1/2" off the top of the column.. Thought I would try and see how it goes... I realise most plans drop down to a section of 3/4" first. Plan on trying to tig up a 36" Leibig (1/2" inside 3/4") and have a compression joiner between it and the column for dismantling.

Amazed at how much heat it takes to saturate the piece (especially once the piece gets a bit bigger) and how hot it gets. Up the amps to get a puddle quicker and you had better be ready to back that pedal off or the house of cards comes falling down in a big way. Kind of similar to Ally in that way I suppose.

Also tried welding Copper to stainless (keg flange adapter fitting) but this ended in disaster. I'll keep trying after I get some advice from those with skills.
Anyway, thought I would share. It is nerve racking as copper is so expensive I loathe to wreck any. But you can only learn so much practicing on scrap.

Anyone who has skills or advice, I would be extremely grateful for your input and comments. You wont offend me, I know my work is no oil painting!

Regards,

Luke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luke777

equipment: 2" Bokakob over 50l keg. Triac controller, all self-made
2" Pot Still in the making.

Re: TIG Copper. My first try

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:16 pm

Looks Fkin sweet to me bro!
aliced

Postby aliced » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 pm

I have done a bit of copper to stainless, to tell you the truth mate, unless you have done a fair bit of tig welding or are up for some serious practice, I would silfos it, or solder it, or anything really, use sticky tape if it gets the job done, drove me fucking up the wall learning how to do it.
aliced

Postby SBB » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 pm

luke777 wrote:Before I knew it I had spent ages fiddling

Thats copper addiction for you, I once did that and next thing there was a bubbler sitting in the shed :scared-eek:
another time a pot still appeared :scared-eek:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Hobo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Looks like a bloody neat job for a first try! Much neater than you could get with Mapp gas and silver solder, well done.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby luke777 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks heaps fellas!!
I will definitely keep trying. I'm a bit of a perfectionist but it pays to cut yourself some slack when learning new things.
Can't expect to be a guru in a month, otherwise everyone would be one!

Just LOVE a neat job!!

The truth of it is I struggle with pipe. hand position, technique etc is a struggle so I think I need to go and watch someone who knows what they are doing. Not to mention spending time under the helmet.

ANY advice and tips would be like gold to me.

Thanks and kind regards.

Luke
luke777

equipment: 2" Bokakob over 50l keg. Triac controller, all self-made
2" Pot Still in the making.

Postby Smbjk » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Looks awesome bro :handgestures-thumbupleft: looks like a swans head :D
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Milky » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:00 am

That looks great and really neat! Well done! It takes a shit load of heat but if you go past that point and then BOOM! hole.
Milky

equipment: Bender The 4" Copper Bubbler
Bender The 50L Electric Keg Boiler (2 xoxo 2000w 5 Star Elements)
Pure Distilling 2 Inch Reflux Still with 30 Litre Electric Boiler (2000w)
Homemade Copper 2 Inch Pot Still Condenser to fit the 30 Litre Electric Boiler.

Return to Hardware Research & Development