Building a Home Distillation Apparatus - Step by Step Guide

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Building a Home Distillation Apparatus - Step by Step Guide

Postby StormWolf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:56 am

Hey peeps I've been sitting on this pdf for about 6yrs and can't remember where it came from but what I like about it is the simple & straight forward way it discusses the difference between the pot & reflux still and it also has an excellent step by step guide to building 2 different types of stills ( this is fairly old prob 10 or 15yrs & written by an American so you need to convert lengths & volumes to metric in some cases ).

The 2 stills are 1) Internal Reflux Still & 2) Valved Reflux Still.

I'm thinking about having a go at building the Valved Reflux Still myself to start my home distillation journey on so if any of you knowledgable gents can direct me to a better simpler plan it'd be much appreciated.

Also please let me know what you think of the info provided in the pdf... remembering that I'm a newb & that I didn't write it ;-)

http://stormwolfdesigns.com/Building_a_Home_Distillation_Apparatus.pdf
StormWolf

Location: South Burnett - That's in Qld for all you Mexicans & Westies
equipment: Still Looking ... Looking Still

(pun intended)

Re: Building a Home Distillation Apparatus - Step by Step Gu

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:46 am

Hi stormwolf ..yeah I downloaded that too and the valved reflux got my juces running too until I found these forums and realized it was not the best Design in terms of efficiency and cost .

A much better design is something like THIS if you want an LM boka style .

I made mine HERE after already buying some bits to make the one you were going to make . Mine in LM/VM but really all I ever use is the VM because LM is too fiddly during a run .VM is very set and forget and easier to duplicate run to run
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Building a Home Distillation Apparatus - Step by Step Gu

Postby StormWolf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply man I checked out your rig... very nice... oh well back to the drawing board!!!
StormWolf

Location: South Burnett - That's in Qld for all you Mexicans & Westies
equipment: Still Looking ... Looking Still

(pun intended)

Return to Hardware Research & Development