Dual (inner/outer) plated column design

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Dual (inner/outer) plated column design

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:08 pm

Smiles...
I was reading thru that one yesterday, or the day before. At least I am beginning to learn how to find the pertinent info. Perf. trays are easier to build, and from what I've read are much more efficient but they HAVE to be designed correctly for the column or they are useless.
Bubble caps are more forgiving to run by nature but require more energy to gain the same result as Perf. trays due to less interaction area. I'll spend the night reading more, and try to make a decision.

More numbers for posterity using a 4" inner column
Area of 4" inner with a 3/4" vapor injector 3.8"
8" 4" Inner column 7"

Vapor speed for 3.8"@ 7.5 kw 76cm per second
7" @ 7.5kw 23cm

Column overall volume 27.5 liter equivalent to 11.1' x 4" column 18 plates

Much closer. I do recall your mentioning vapor speed differences at the very beginning of this idea YummyRum. It took me a few days to catch up, and understand exactly what impact they would have on designing.

Thank you! Thank you! thank you!
zombie

Postby zombie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:21 pm

http://eleceng.dit.ie/gavin/Distillatio ... Design.pdf

Tonight's reading. Ill post it up in your library here too (if it's not there already)
zombie

Postby zombie » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Just posted on MD. Thought I'd past it here.

Just a quick update.
In the little bit of reading I accomplished last night I believe Packing is the way to go on the outer column due to low vapor speed. It seems to be the preferred method for slower columns. I still get to do some fancy plumbing in there for liquid management so that is all good with me. Perf plates are perfect for the faster inner column, and I have been reading up on exactly how to engineer the correct plate (more/larger holes) for that columns design. Using the packed section at the base of the inner column is also an added bonus. The bottom of that packed section is directly above the reboiler so no liquid management techniques are needed there but I am thinking a cone pointing upward with minimal side clearance (1-2mm) will help pressurize the reboiler, contain most of the vapor from the spent wash, and act almost as another plate creating interaction with the falling liquid from the column. (thinking out loud again) The potential is looking promising.
zombie

Postby zombie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:48 pm

Update:
Been reading Duffys Plate design, and Kisters Distillation design. (both in your library here)
That stuff is worse than drinking ever was. I have 15 pieces of paper with soooooo many numbers that I keep getting lost. This is just the learning how to come up with the numbers needed to make more numbers to translate into design numbers!!!
Holy Bat Crap!
One of the MD members has been there from the start, and he always has one piece of advice that raises 15 more questions for me. Kinda like the guy that holds the carrot on the end of a stick in front of the mule. In reality I feel more like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away. This stuff is HARD when you have to start from the ground floor.

Anyway I wanted to post up that I found a (free) source for the Aspen HYSYS software. It is a computer model of a distillation system that is determined or built according to the parameters you enter. Engineering level stuff for sure. I have NO idea how to run the software yet but hope to by the time I figure out what all the working numbers for my build are.
I brought this up in case anyone is interested in the source for the program. PM me, and I will forward the info.

like always... Thanks! :angry-banghead:
zombie

Postby bt1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 am

Has any metal been offered to the gods of builds for this design as yet?

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:32 am

You will have to follow zombie on a forum he is still welcome on, which isn't many.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development