Inline thumper

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Inline thumper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 pm

Cheers kimbo and mac :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 pm

bayshine wrote:so I'm thinking a six inch bubble cap plate then three 4 inch plates

That setup works well for me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Dominator wrote:A inline thumper is not too unlike a big single bubble cap. Here is a very rough digram of an inline thumper with multiple external valves. The arrows show the vapour direction. It makes its way up the smaller center tube, down between the outer wall of the center tube and inner wall of the larger tube then out through holes or slots in the bottom of the larger tube then the vapour is forced through the liquid bath and on to the main column.

I like the picture dom it demonstrates a inline thumpa very clearly...
So my question is why do people include downcomers of some sort with a inline thumpa when a traditional offset thumper functions fine without any form of downcomer? Surely a inline thumpa is no more likely to flood than a offset one
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Dominator » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 pm

kiwikeg wrote:
I like the picture dom it demonstrates a inline thumpa very clearly...
So my question is why do people include downcomers of some sort with a inline thumpa when a traditional offset thumper functions fine without any form of downcomer? Surely a inline thumpa is no more likely to flood than a offset one

A normal offset thumper is generally run on a pot still so there is no reflux condenser thus no need for a drain/down commer.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Progress
6 in pipe and 4 to 6 in reducers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby 1 2many » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Wow interesting thread considering I have a 6" single cap plate then 3x4" bubble plates, I haven't done enough runs yet to learn how it works, time to investigate :-B
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development