Glass jars, but what about the seal

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Glass jars, but what about the seal

Postby flamehawk » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 pm

So I see glass jars around that I could store booze in however they all have either plastic or rubber seal. What do you folks use.
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Re: Glass jars, but what about the seal

Postby Kimbo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:02 pm

I take the seal out. it lets the spirit breath :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby whiskeyshiner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:04 pm

I let them breath aswell but over long periods of aging when its hot I put paper towel in place of the rubber seal then close the demi as usual :handgestures-thumbupleft:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am

+3... I take the plastic seal off, and sit a paper towel between the lid and jar :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby OzKev » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 am

I got some silicone mat from ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171194579827?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Used the original seal as a template. It's not quite as thick as the original seal but works well.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby Smbjk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:32 am

I ordered 12 2lt glass jars through work but they came supplied with plastic lids ~x( so maybe I can put something inthe lid like silicone to prevent contact :think: other wize was just going to cover with baking paper and a rubberband. Only cost $2 each so no big deal
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby 1pot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:33 am

Has anyone used the oven bags inside the lids for seals. I am thinking of useing wine flagons but they have a plastic/silicon seal, I am talking about 40% spirit.
1pot

equipment: A 2inch boka and 50 litr keg

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:43 pm

1pot wrote:Has anyone used the oven bags inside the lids for seals. I am thinking of useing wine flagons but they have a plastic/silicon seal, I am talking about 40% spirit.

If they are the bags I'm thinking of they are probably worse than the original seal.

You could use Teflon tape instead (plumbers tape) as a safer alternative :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Or if using flagons how about some natural cork for a bung
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby crow » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:35 pm

1pot wrote:Has anyone used the oven bags inside the lids for seals. I am thinking of useing wine flagons but they have a plastic/silicon seal, I am talking about 40% spirit.

jeez lou weez , you can buy brandy in flagons and always have been able to as well as almost any fortified libation you could think of so i'm guessing they use an acetate silicon suitable for moderate exposure to at least diluted/tempered ethanol :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:23 pm

Piss the plastic off and go natural...cork or oak...you'll never need to wonder and the breathing it enables is a good thing

Fuck plastics

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby 1pot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:07 pm

crow wrote:

jeez lou weez , you can buy brandy in flagons and always have been able to as well as almost any fortified libation you could think of so i'm guessing they use an acetate silicon suitable for moderate exposure to at least diluted/tempered ethanol :-B
Thats what I figarde Crow but a lot of the tops are not in the best shape Have been lying around for years.

I thought seeing as oven bags put up with a roasting they may be able to handle a bit of alky.
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed quote
1pot

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 pm

1pot wrote: I thought seeing as oven bags put up with a roasting they may be able to handle a bit of alky.

Its not a case of being able to handle it, im sure most things would, it's a case of is this solvent I am storing going to leach bad flavours into my spirit and possible harmful contaminants :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby 1pot » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:19 pm

No worries sam_and_liv Iwill ge some cork as has been sugested
1pot

Postby SBB » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 pm

1pot wrote:I thought seeing as oven bags put up with a roasting they may be able to handle a bit of alky.

Its the same old story as a lot of things in this hobby, just because its food safe, or can be used with food doesn't mean its any good to us as distillers.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby baysidebogan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 pm

SBB wrote:
Its the same old story as a lot of things in this hobby, just because its food safe, or can be used with food doesn't mean its any good to us as distillers.
This needs to be repeated. Bread comes in food safe plastic, soft drinks come in food safe plastic. Neither products can be used to store your favorite drink as they are not alcohol safe. There are reasons we use a particular type of plastic to ferment in. However,we don't use those same fermenting barrels to store low wines or the finished product.
Glass is great,just get rid of the seals
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Return to Hardware Research & Development