What sort of still is this?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

What sort of still is this?

Postby navarau » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:32 pm

OK so this is my first post here other than my one in the welcome area so please be gentle on me.

I'm planning on building a Boka still and have just worked out the cost. What I have found is that I could buy a still off ebay cheaper than what it cost me to build one. The one on ebay says it's good for 96% and looks very simple in design so am I missing something?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REFLUX-ALCOH ... 1c3f88efac

The still for sale appears to have it's cooling line in at the bottom of the column and out at the bottom of what I assume is the condenser. Now someone more knowledgeable than me will probably laugh at my question but I can't figure out how this still would work and how it can be made so cheap.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this still and explination on how it would work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
navarau

equipment: Nothing

Re: What sort of still is this?

Postby C2H6O » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Been a bit of discussion here lately on those stills mate viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5923

Its a coolant management still and i think they can be a bugger to run. If you have the time and basic tools needed to build a boka then i say this is your best bet, there are heaps of build threads on here with modular boka designs, that way you can run it as a pot still or a reflux still (best of both worlds)

Good luck
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby navarau » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Thanks mate, I'll go and have a read of that thread.
navarau

Postby filb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Don't buy one of these i did and it's "ok" but realisically it's a P.O.S as i have found out from talking to the good folks on this site and they WILL shot you straight with no B.S
if you are handy and could build a still go for it you'll be happier in the long run :text-imwithstupid:
filb

equipment: strange kind of coffee (yeah thats it) coffee machine !!!!!!!!!!!+
still spirits super reflux unit

Postby navarau » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I know it's a "Cranky" still I have searched the forum and been reading for over an hour. I'm defiantly going to build the Boka still.

Thanks for your input.
navarau

Return to Hardware Research & Development