Are all hdpe created equal?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Are all hdpe created equal?

Postby res » Mon May 19, 2014 12:36 pm

I need to use some no chill cubes and found some used for detergent :roll: There hdpe for sure and after a good clean I hope to use them for wash and backset storage. :think: What do you guys reckon?
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Re: Are all hdpe created equal?

Postby bt1 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Unsure so I'd suggest give it a test...after cleaning up sodium per carb should do it ... re fill with plain water and see if it imparts anything.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby troglodyte » Mon May 19, 2014 12:58 pm

If I needed to clean a hdpe container I would use some type of detergent, non scented, followed by several hot rinses etc. I would give them several hot rinses, then let sit a day or two and give them the smell / taste test.

Trog
troglodyte

equipment: 2L pot still

Postby res » Mon May 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Cheers lads, sounds like a plan. :greetings-waveyellow:
res

equipment: Custom 4", 5 plate FSD bubbler, 600mm packed section.
50lt keg boiler with 2x 2400w elements
5lt copper pot still

Postby crow » Mon May 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Yep one of mine wash a detergent one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The ones that are generally say that (The black ones) and of cause any that had unknown or toxic compounds in
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ekul » Mon May 19, 2014 6:31 pm

it is very hard to get out the scent of some deergents. You can generally get brand new ones at packaging supply places.
ekul

equipment: none

Postby crow » Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 am

Truck wash ones got no sent :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby badbird » Tue May 20, 2014 9:17 am

It surprises me a bit that every one is extremely careful about not storing their spirits in plastic containers (which is fair enough) but there doesn't appear to be much concern about what is used for low ABV fermenting containers etc.
Personality I try to stick to known food grade containers, preferably the unpigmented translucent variety. A lot of the darker colours can be made from recycled HDPE which may have become contaminated with any kind of pharmaceuticals, toxins or what-ever in the containers previous life. There are also issues with potentially carcinogenic or biologically disruptive mold-release agents used by some manufacturers of (hopefully only) non food grade containers. (google around the aquarium reef fish forums, they have had issues with some of these things)

At the end of the day the ethanol we are making is probably more of a problem than any of the above stuff but it still pay to keep it in mind.
badbird

equipment: 4 x 4" bubble cap column and other assorted bent-up copper

Postby crow » Tue May 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Stillage is almost devoid of alcohol , it does generally have a low pH but if that was an issue then I think it would be a good idea for chemical companies to stop using them to store high concentrate acids in them :-B
crow

Postby pulsetech » Tue May 20, 2014 3:15 pm

I just bought 2 x 220L Drums that were used for Capers in brine. Im going to try and clean them up for fermenting.
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby TheMechwarrior » Tue May 20, 2014 4:03 pm

To clean try this:
Pintobootleg wrote:Go to your nearest marine store,Bias,BLA etc and get some gear called "Drifter",mix according to directions,4-1 I think spray inside,leave 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: too fucking easy.If it gets rid of rotten bait smells from an esky,it'll get rid of pickle smells :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And no,I didn't leave a box of squid,2kgs of pillies and 5 slimey mackerel in the esky on Friday after fishing :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby pulsetech » Tue May 20, 2014 4:42 pm

TheMechwarrior wrote:To clean try this:
Pintobootleg wrote:Go to your nearest marine store,Bias,BLA etc and get some gear called "Drifter",mix according to directions,4-1 I think spray inside,leave 5 minutes and rinse thoroughly :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: too fucking easy.If it gets rid of rotten bait smells from an esky,it'll get rid of pickle smells :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
And no,I didn't leave a box of squid,2kgs of pillies and 5 slimey mackerel in the esky on Friday after fishing :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:text-+1: :text-lol:
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby Andy » Tue May 20, 2014 5:03 pm

as badbird said not all Image containers are food grade.

my assumption would be if its not specifically labelled as food grade it is recycled HDPE... yummy
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Return to Hardware Research & Development