Use of a pump in fermenter.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Use of a pump in fermenter.

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi, I recently began using a 500w aquarium heater in my 200L fermenter. I threw a pump in there to circulate water to assist the heater, led me to thinking..... If yeast likes oxygen, how would it be if I let the pump keep running during fermentation allowing it to cascade into the wash, Would it help? What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Re: Use of a pump in fermenter.

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 pm

Oxygen is good for the first part of the ferment when the yeast is multiplying but once the oxygen is gone that's when they get to business so probably not the best idea to aerate the whole way.

Usually aerating the shit out of it at the start will be more than adequate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Someone will probably be able to give you a more precise explanation but the above is the basics of it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Ok I will do the Bamix blender think when adding the yeast, and see how that goes. I think these aquarium heaters are designed to work with circulating water. Maybe I could just put the hose underwater during the ferment?
Chips Molasses

equipment: 2 inch column, pot still 50l gas fired keg boiler. Soon to be 2x 3000w electric.

Postby bluess57 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:37 pm

To produce alcohol, yeast use anaerobic respiration...ie no oxygen
An acquarium heater in your fermenter is fine, convection currents will move the wash around.
KISS
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Postby Chips Molasses » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:57 pm

A little bit of knowledge helps allot, thanks guys.
Chips Molasses

Return to Hardware Research & Development