Oops... Broke my column.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Oops... Broke my column.

Postby FireKitty » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 pm

2014-06-29 18.37.35.jpg
So, after being out of action for over a year (blew my last element and took my sweet time getting new one wired up...), I finally got around to business recently, ran some TPW's, hooked up new element, and went to do my maiden stripping run for the year... Then this happened. FFS!!! :scared-eek:

Getting the BF to weld it back together for me tomorrow, is there anything specific I should be asking him to do, ie - type of weld, technique, etc? It's a piece of SS with threaded base (to hook onto keg heater), which fits into the copper reflux column.

Cheers :)
FK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Re: Oops... Broke my column.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:27 pm

If he's a welder by trade ,he'll know exactly what to do with it.

If he is going to solder it ,then he must use Lead Free Plumbers solder only .

After you have done the repair ,you need to do a clean on it .Boil it in a pot of vinegar and water or Citric acid and water ....just to make sure all the flux and crap is off it .

PS.... Christ you've had some bad luck ....Look out Crow , some good competition
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby FireKitty » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:52 pm

This is no doubt what I get for buying a 2ndhand backyard build!!!

Like with a first car, it's all good experience for when I have a much better, costlier setup in the future, supposing I stick with it :)
FireKitty

Postby crow » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:20 am

Yummyrum wrote:PS.... Christ you've had some bad luck ....Look out Crow , some good competition

Firekitty has met the crow, I need to add some resent stories to how's ya luck complete with pictures and you would see just how funny that reference is right atm
@ Firekitty there are some really great tutorials on copper to ss soldering (I think in tips from the work bench) , following them I got a good soldered joint first time (not a claim I can make for copper to copper) . From memory it was heat the copper much more than the stainless :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby punchy21 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 am

Slow and steady with copper to stainless, they heat up at different speeds so the flux will burn quicker on the stainless... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby FireKitty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:53 pm

I will have to check out the workbench I think, BF and his old man were a bit in the dark on what to do with those 2 different metals - a quick Google showed something about 'brazing' using brass or the like...

If anyone has any direct links feel free to put them here, as I'll be crawling through all the posts otherwise :(
FireKitty

Postby SBB » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:18 pm

In the photo it looks like your trying to butt join those too pieces of pipe together, If thats the case , its going to be a whole lot stronger join and easier to fix with some sort of sleeve around it. A copper joiner of the appropriate size might be easiest. You should be able to join it using Hard solder, or in other words high content silver solder, not the soft stuff that comes in a roll.

FireKitty wrote: 'brazing' using brass or the like...

I wouldnt use anything with brass in it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:51 pm

SBB is right when I built mine I used a very high silver content from memory 45% but the stuffs not cheap about $14 a stick. Also I flared my copper so it over lapped the stainless for strength. I tryed butt welding but had very little success.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Just having another look at you pic..to me it looks like there is a copper sleeve on the inside and it was originally soldered ..albeit not very well.An internal sleeve is strange though because it is not a standard pipe size ...it would have to have been custom made

I agree with SBB that an external sleeve would make it stronger ,and being copper pipe ,a standard coupling from a plumbing store should fit.

Either way if any attempt is going to be made either soldering or Brazing ( probably they meant Bronzing.....another name for brazing .. not brass) or even Tig welding ,then that joint needs to be completely separated and the joining surfaces need cleaning back to bare metal before any repair is made .
Otherwise a leaky joint will occur where complete bonding has been hampered by contaminated metal

Do you know what sort of welding gear they have .If its a stick welder then forget it .

If its an oxy acetylene torch then they should be able to braze it with 5% silver rods from Bunnings or a plumbing shop .They will need to get rid off all the old solder and use a Flux that is suitable .

If they have an oxy ,then it is too hot to solder anyway.

If they have a propane or Mapp gas torch then soldering it with Plumbers Lead Free solder would be the easiest ...with an appropriate flux ..(which will be completely different from flux that is used for Brazing )

Edit: double post with woodduck
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Linny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:52 pm

+1 with SBB and yummy , 5% silver rod with a collar will fix it permanently.
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby woodduck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:58 pm

Tig won't do it it cracks the metals cool at different rates and I don't think low silver will either but you can use the same flux as you do for normal silver for high grade silver. I'm also fairly sure bronzing won't stick to stainless.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby crow » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 pm

That join is what it is I wouldn't bother changing it to much, looks to me like it was soft soldered which is doable for sure, the other weld is mig welded and I don't really know why the maker didn't just mig this given the nature of the join, if you clean it right up it could be mig welded, it could be silver soldered or you could just get it re-soft soldered and if the internal collar is soft soldered that would probably make the most sense
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Hardware Research & Development