Developing my equipment

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Developing my equipment

Postby twobottles » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:09 am

Hi guys,

Been dying to modify my little pure distilling still for a while. I used to have a threaded coupling on a small extension piece and I got some time and the effort to go about removing it and putting flanges on instead. I laughed when I realised the pipes fit into each other! So I just soldered them together.
I now have an extra piece of 2" and a couple of 304 stainless ferrules. It's 800mm long. The reflux is 600mm and the shotgun 540mm.

I was wondering whether to just put the ferrules in the piece of 2" and use it as an extension for the reflux.

I could also put it under the two 90's and run the shotgun off it.

Then I was thinking I could put copper mesh in the 800mm extension and run the shotgun, but don't know if it's a good idea or what to expect from it? Will it be too long as an extension? What would you do with these pieces?

I'm still on the lookout for some 4" and I guess that's when the real fun will begin, but in the meantime I just want to make something new and get better at soldering.

Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twobottles

equipment: 50 mm pure distilling reflux still, extension with extra scrubbies, now triclamped to a 50l keg with a triple ring gas burner. 2" modular shottie pot still!

Re: Developing my equipment

Postby RefluxEd » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:47 am

twobottles wrote:Hi guys,

I was wondering whether to just put the ferrules in the piece of 2" and use it as an extension for the reflux.

I could also put it under the two 90's and run the shotgun off it.

Then I was thinking I could put copper mesh in the 800mm extension and run the shotgun, but don't know if it's a good idea or what to expect from it? Will it be too long as an extension? What would you do with these pieces?

Any suggestions?

Why not get two bangs for your bucks by starting with doing the extension with packing? Once you upgrade to a 4 inch column you can turn the extension into a shotty that will knock down anything the 4 inch can throw at it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RefluxEd

equipment: 2 inch BOKA/LM/VM over 8 4x3x4 inch bubble plates + 1 bubble plate under a 4 inch section under the dephlagmator (RC).
2 inch Pot still.
2 inch to 4 inch Gin head.
2x 1.2 mtre Leibig condensors.
2 inch x 800 mm shotgun condenser.

Re: Developing my equipment

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I would make the 800mm tube 600mm use that with packing and the pure dist head ,thats your reflux still .Then the 200mm left with the two 90' elbows on top too the shotgun condencer,thats your pot still .The other bits could allmost make a parrot .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Hardware Research & Development