Soldering RC copper water pipe connections

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Soldering RC copper water pipe connections

Postby bluess57 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:40 pm

Recently dropped my RC + PC and cracked the solder joints of the water pipe connections.
Just had 1/2" pipe soldered at right angles into the RC, PC bodies.
They're currently weeping water.

Was thinking about using a brass bush
Eg. http://www.bunnings.com.au/brass-thr-tu ... 0_p4700184

I'd insert the threaded end inside the RC, solder around the hex plate, and solder in the copper pipe. This would give some extra mechanical strength and help eliminate leaks thru solder joints. My soldering skills are not ideal.

Thoughts about this? Too fiddly? Other ideas welcome
bluess57

equipment: keg boiler - 4" copper bubbler

Re: Soldering RC copper water pipe connections

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Why not just re solder them? Would be easier i recon. The solder would all ready be there just a bit of flux (if soft solder) and a bit of heat and bobs ya uncle.

Unless I've missed something :think:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluess57 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:03 pm

woodduck wrote:Why not just re solder them? Would be easier i recon. The solder would all ready be there just a bit of flux (if soft solder) and a bit of heat and bobs ya uncle.

Unless I've missed something :think:

Have had one quick go at resoldering, but the joints are weeping.
I'm thinking I have remove the pipes and clean up the area and existing solder as its a mess.
Wanted a better connection and a solder joint less likely to weep.
bluess57

Postby woodduck » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Yer, you might have to pull them out for a good clean and grind/file back the solder and start again.

I think solder will be fine. There would be heaps of stills out there that have soldered joints like that and don't have problems. if things are dropped they have a tendency to break and unfortunately for you that's what has happened. Did you have problems before that? If so, maybe the joint wasn't quite soldered right. I think you maybe over complicating things with the bush but if you want to go that way it should work ok.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby whiskeyshiner » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 am

I reckon these would be better mate more brass to grip to the copper otherwise braze it if you have the tools bunnings socket
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby bluess57 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:57 pm

whiskeyshiner wrote:I reckon these would be better mate more brass to grip to the copper otherwise braze it if you have the tools bunnings socket

I'm liking the idea, solder in a socket.
Then can screw in fittings by putting the bush on the copper pipe or any other 15mm screw fittings.
bluess57

Postby 1 2many » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:02 pm

But if you want to solder in a socket why not just solder the joint you already have :-B

It would be a lot easier. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby SX170 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:03 am

15w3.jpg

I used these things on both condesers. I hope that pic works.
Any plumbing store will have them. 1/2"capillary male connector. In the ACT you can ask for a 1/2"number 3 and the plumbing shop people will know. They have a longer engagement than a tube bush so drill a hole & solder in.
If you have used soft solder on the rest of the build, I would stick with that. Just clean and flux.
My cooling lines are SS braided hoses which screw straight on.
If you try and silver braze them, the extra heat required will cause major problems on any soft solder close by.
Trust me, I found this out the hard way many years ago.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SX170

equipment: Home built bubbler.

Postby bluess57 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:45 pm

SX170 wrote:
15w3.jpg

Any plumbing store will have them. 1/2"capillary male connector. In the ACT you can ask for a 1/2"number 3 and the plumbing shop people will know. They have a longer engagement than a tube bush so drill a hole & solder in.
If you have used soft solder on the rest of the build, I would stick with that. Just clean and flux.
If you try and silver braze them, the extra heat required will cause major problems on any soft solder close by.

Cheers.

Got a picture of your setup?
bluess57

Postby whiskeyshiner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:23 pm

SX170 wrote:
15w3.jpg

Cheers.

Good point i forgot that if the plumbing was soft soldered then the rest is probably soft soldered thats a no for brazing then :handgestures-thumbdown:
whiskeyshiner

equipment: 4” bubbler on 100l boiler

Postby Brendan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:29 am

1 2many wrote:But if you want to solder in a socket why not just solder the joint you already have :-B

It would be a lot easier. ;-)

+1

I think you're best bet is to pull it all apart (by heating the solder...), then grind all the solder back to clean shiny copper tubes, and start again. A bit of time, but the end result will be worth it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby bluess57 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Yes I have to pull out the copper tubes and clean up the areas/ grind back any solder remanents. Its not a big deal to solder in tubes again, really just thinking of options,different ideas.
Won't be brazing anything, was never a thought, haven't the gear.
bluess57

Postby Brendan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Oh I see, I kind of read it like a weird fix for the crack...

Now I get it. Yeah there's no reason that wouldn't work mate. I actually went the other way with the tube soldered in the hole on the RC, and then the bush on the end of that with the thread sticking out for fixing other connections to :-D

Your idea will work fine, and would definitely be stronger :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Return to Hardware Research & Development