Copper Spheres ?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Copper Spheres ?

Postby MickC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:26 pm

I have a concept for a bubbler using 4" copper spheres as the column with each sphere being a plate and each sphere connected via a short piece of 4" copper pipe with possibly a viewing port in each sphere.

Now I have no idea if this would work so before I go and make a purchase of some 4" copper spheres is there any reason the sphere shape would interfere with a bubblers performance or any other problems that a sphere shape may present ?

I hope it's doable because I've started to fixate a bit about these copper balls :pray: :laughing-rolling:
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Re: Copper Spheres ?

Postby rumdidlydum » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:52 pm

No thats thinking outside the box. :think:
Have you got a pic of one?
It may tend to reflux a little more than a standard one. It definitely would be unique :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Good question for the bubler experts
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby MickC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Here's a link to one of the company's that I have seen that make copper spheres.

http://www.necopperworks.com/copperballs.html

I'm not sure if the copper they use is useable for a still ?
MickC

Postby andybear » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:19 pm

These spheres are actually two half spheres soldered together. He is probably using a solder with lead. You will need to check up on this. Or maybe you can buy the half spheres and solder them together youself.
I would love to see a sketch of your design. the spheres look cool.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby MickC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:23 am

Ok so I'm not much of a draftsman but here is a "CONCEPT" of what I'm thinking.

DSCF0014.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MickC

Postby woodduck » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

I love the idea :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I recon you would be better getting them in 2 halves anyway. You will need to get the plates in somehow. You could either seal the plates into the spheres with solder or you could easy flange both halves and triclamp them together with the plates in the middle.

Goodluck with it mate, i watch with great interest
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bayshine » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:26 am

I think it would work well assuming the thicknesses are in inches as this would make the 6 inch ball around 2mm thick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
would look very breaking bad lol
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:36 am

Coooooool!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby andybear » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:08 am

Now that looks so cool. I didn't get it at first, but I love the idea now. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
So going on from what woodduck said, the two halves and flanges would be the best way forward imo. But you may have trouble finding triclamps that fit. If so you can make your easy flanges with 1/2"tube instead of 1/4 and then drill holes thru and use bolts just like an industrial pipe flange. Your bubble plate would then be the same outer diameter as your flange and you would need two silicone gaskets for each plate. I'll be watching with interest. Good luck.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:27 am

check out viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1664&hilit=bubble+ball .good luck ,love a dream of something out there.volume would be less than tube does he do 6inch balls ?? cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Four 4inch balls with 2inch (you quoted 4 ?) joining sections =a height of about 600ml not sure about ya 1000ml.I love building and have found that if ya get a large book of graph paper,at the news agent ,they use cm and mm sqares wich makes it easy to draw up idears and get a better idear of size,s and how it actually will look ,have also taped a few sheets together for the BIG idears .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby MickC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks fellas for the replies and encouragement.

When i first saw the spheres I was thinking "I got work out how to do something with these" and a bubbler was what I thought.
but thought "Hmmmmm it would look cool,but would it work?"

I'm going to send the company an email and ask about materials, dimensions, and how much it would cost for them to put a flange on each sphere.
This probably wont work out to be cheap and may take me some time but I figure if I take it slowly I should end up with a groovy looking bubbler or at worst a expensive but cool looking talking point in the shed.... :))
MickC

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:05 pm

YES WE CAN.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

Postby MickC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:10 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Four 4inch balls with 2inch (you quoted 4 ?) joining sections =a height of about 600ml not sure about ya 1000ml.I love building and have found that if ya get a large book of graph paper,at the news agent ,they use cm and mm sqares wich makes it easy to draw up idears and get a better idear of size,s and how it actually will look ,have also taped a few sheets together for the BIG idears .cheers hillzabilly

Yep the drawing I posted is far from scale but give a general if not true idea of what I'm trying to do.

I worked on a 1000mm and was going to try and make within that height. I figured the I need to make eack joining pipe about 150mm to make the difference up. But The figure 1000mm was just a number I saw in some other builds and to be honest I really need to read up a shit load more about bubblers/plated stills.

Before I build I can be pretty sure I''l be submitting a few more plans for everyone's input
MickC

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:12 pm

with a pot still having a constriction and expansion like the sphere causes internal reflux- heavier notes condense. So it might raise efficiency, especially having plate in them
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Meatheadinc » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:40 pm

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... obot+still

the stacked ball design has been used with success in stainless by a couple of people on other forums
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:43 pm

An old drawing ,clearly shows 4balls.and if I can help get her out of ya mind and onto the boiler ,we can all find out . cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby MickC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:34 pm

Well I've sent off the email and waiting for a reply...its 4:25 am in New England atm :angry-banghead:

Thanks Hillz I will need all the help i can get.I'll be going to get some graph paper and find my reading glasses.

Thanks meathead for the link,I didn't think I was the first to come up with the ball design.
That I ROBOT gives me some more ideas though.
MickC

Postby sp0rk » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:47 pm

4" half balls are pretty cheap on Alibaba
http://sxdhead.en.alibaba.com/product/6 ... _ball.html
And the minimum buy of 10 halves would be perfect for 5 plates...
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby punchy21 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:48 pm

Have you seen these builds? Not a perfect sphere but still look shit hot! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

4" Rum still

6" Rum still
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development