Soft Soldering S/steel to S/steel

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Soft Soldering S/steel to S/steel

Postby Rumking » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:15 am

I've been reading the soft soldering threads on here i see Mac and many others seems to have much success doing copper to s/steel.
My question is what about s/steel to s/steel. I got a piece of 2 inch S/Steel pipe and am trying to join a stainless funnel, using it as a (reducer) to it.
I was looking at the cheap propane tourches at burnings Mac and others have recommended and found some Ezi-weld 801 at Bunnings today aswell. will this with the correct solder be able to join stainless to stainless?
The 2 parts I need to join sleeve nicely over each other so the join really is just to make it air tight.

Am I on the right track?

Any advice or tips we'll be appreciated
Rumking

equipment: 5L Airstill recent upgrade to 25L s/steel pot still.

Re: Soft Soldering S/steel to S/steel

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:03 am

I would get it TIG welded ,if ya in the Perth area I can organize someone to do it ,brazeing would be my next choice,soft solder my last as I have never been able to get a good join with it with stainless to stainless.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby punchy21 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 am

Not sure on how strong these are but it can be done, check this out, very informative :handgestures-thumbupleft:

punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Rumking » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks guys
hillzabilly I'm down in secret harbour down Mandurah way.
It's just a small quick job that's why I was hopping soft soldering could do the trick. It doesn't have to hold the weight or pressure of anything. It's just jointing a ss funel to the end of ss 2inch tube. It's already a snug fit but it's not water tight.

If I was going down the tig path I have some farells I'd like to join to 2inch tubbing too

Cheers
Rumking

equipment: 5L Airstill recent upgrade to 25L s/steel pot still.

Postby toil » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:24 pm

I have soft soldered stainless fittings to kegs using Comwell 965 flux and aquasafe solder (tin/copper - no silver). The fittings end up very solidly attached - pulled them it as hard as I could and they didn't budge. If as you suggest the two pieces fit together snugly and you have some surface area to work with, soft solder would be fine. I used a propane torch from bunnings and it was pretty easy.
toil

equipment: 3" VM still
2" pot still
Pure distilling reflux still gathering dust

Return to Hardware Research & Development