Wood Fired Still

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Wood Fired Still

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Ok I'm getting interested in setting up a wood fired still (afterall its Post 200 for the Airstill man :laughing-rolling:)

I will be using a 50l SS Keg boiler connected to a copper reflux and/or potstill (I think :? ) That'll do for starters anyway....

Anyone got experience with using wood fire for heating?
Traps for new players, design ideas, success stories, reference site tips and (of course) jokes at 'my expense' most welcome... ;)
Frank

Re: Wood Fired Still

Postby Jimmy1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:12 pm

G'day Frank,
The only thing I can say to help is to look at page 114 and on in the alaskan bootleggers bible in the thread the Maheel put up in the distillers warehouse, it has a little bit of info on how the old guys use to do it with fires. And pictures of a wood fired pot setup.
It may be a little help to you.
Cheers Jimmy
Jimmy1

equipment: 2" Ultra Pure still ... Like a Boka just expensive
25l electric Boiler
2" Mcstill Pot + parrot
50L keg with 4 ring burner

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:12 pm

winters over Frank :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Frank » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Jimmy1 wrote:G'day Frank,
The only thing I can say to help is to look at page 114 and on in the alaskan bootleggers bible in the thread the Maheel put up in the distillers warehouse, it has a little bit of info on how the old guys use to do it with fires. And pictures of a wood fired pot setup.
It may be a little help to you.
Cheers Jimmy

@Jimmy1
slobber box...check! ;)
those damned Confederate Yankee-types :teasing-neener: :hand:
@Stubbydrainer
yep! and there's still a sh#tload of dead forestwood around here just waiting for a purpose :dance:
Frank

Return to Hardware Research & Development