Pot heating question.

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Pot heating question.

Postby Modernity » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:08 pm

I'm a bit stumped and was hoping someone better at math skills then I have could help me this one out.

I'm trying to work out the time it will take to heat 130ltrs of beer in a jacketed pot still. The starting temp could be 14deg C to 80 deg C?

The heating comes from a 42KW commercial hot water system boiler, a high temperature heat transfer fluid is pumped to & around the pot still's jacket by a high temp pump.
The jacketed pot has a heating surface area of 790cm2.
The pot has a working volume of 130ltrs.
The rate of fluid transfer rate is not known so some guess work may be required.
The restrictions in the circulation of the heat transfer fluid is the hot side pipe work: 3/4" dia X 1000mm length of pipe work running at 45 psi. It's an open heating system with a maximum working heating fluid temp of 160C

I can't think of what else you would need to know to work this out, but please ask!
Modernity

equipment: I am currently refurbishing a 150 ltr mush tun.
Currently building a 150 ltr oil heated pot still, with 8" copper column.

Re: Pot heating question.

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:35 pm

I use this calc its very handy i keep the link saved on my home screen

http://homedistiller.org/calcs/reflux_calc

Happy stillin
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:46 pm

I have been pondering the same Q with using a steam bath to heat a keg and whether it is cheaper than using a 3 burner straight under the keg. Now for heat transfer one has to look a BTU ( British Thermal Units) then go from there. Off memory it takes 1btu to heat on gallon of water 1 degree and whether that is in C of F I aint worked out yet.

What I'll do with my setup is just time how long(if it does) and the gas usage. I will be using those green can bottles one can get for $1 a can for the flash boiler.

Still gotta finish the flash boiler and it will be fun trying this out.

Now for the equations for the heat transfer I did find a heap of in the pdf files this site has and in particular the steam pdf's are a good read and may help you out.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Sam. » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 pm

There are a lot of variables to consider. I'm sure someone smarter than me could calculate a "perfect" scenario that would get you a close figure.

Or, just run the thing and find out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Hardware Research & Development