Stainless Syphons?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Stainless Syphons?

Postby warramungas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:38 am

WTDist wrote:
Doubleuj wrote:
WTDist wrote:i have one i lift then push down and thats it. automatic

Photo? Make? Name? Please?

ill take a short vid and doa youtube embed thing tomorrow.
basically as you lift it it fills a larger clear tube with liquid and when you push it back down the inner thinner tube fills up faster pushing it through the siphon and gravity does the rest

I have the same one, I think, for transferring wash out of my drum. Hopefully the link works.
http://www.brewmart.com.au/brewmart-sho ... rds=syphon
But I think he wants one that's not made of plastic for high abv alcohol.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby WTDist » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:49 am

thats the one :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby 1 2many » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:07 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:No suck
https://vimeo.com/141631923

It's even easier just to submerge the whole syphon tube into your wash right to the end then place your thumb over the end and lift it up over the edge and down into collection vessel then remove thumb. ;-)
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby WTDist » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:24 pm

thats what i though
WTDist

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:11 pm

frednurk wrote:Folks,

What is everyone using for transferring spirits between large caboys and other vessels? I like the ease of use of the plastic autosyphons, but not keen on using them with high proof spirits. Is the only other alternative the stainless racking canes?

I have been just picking up the 25L Carboy and pouring it into other containers... but can see I am going to have a nasty accident with some very tasty liquid :)

If it's that tasty then why not get some good quality silicon hose and siphon the good old fashioned way? If you get a mouth full so what? :laughing-rolling: just don't do it too often or the missus will cotton on and then you'll get a real mouthful :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm

1 2many wrote:

It's even easier just to submerge the whole syphon tube into your wash right to the end then place your thumb over the end and lift it up over the edge and down into collection vessel then remove thumb. ;-)

That is indeed the easy way, I like a bit more control over how far above the grain bed I place the hose .
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby 1 2many » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:09 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:
1 2many wrote:

That is indeed the easy way, I like a bit more control over how far above the grain bed I place the hose .

:text-+1: yes for sure and the whole hose in the wash will stir it up as well :)) :))
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:25 pm

I just put a piece of 1/2inch copper pipe through from inside to outside of fermenter drain hole,then piece of heavy duty silicon hose on pipe on outside of fermenter as a grommet then jammed it into the tap then screwed tap into place. Its a 30l hbs fermdnter btw. Like a dip tube but in reverse with it pointing up instead of down. Clears the grain bed.Drains out through standard tap and Goes to a little brown pump that pumps wash up into boiler. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby WTDist » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:02 pm

1 2many wrote:
P3T3rPan wrote:
1 2many wrote:

:text-+1: yes for sure and the whole hose in the wash will stir it up as well :)) :))

use a bucket of water or sink. submerge it and do the thumb trick then move over to the fermenter
WTDist

Postby frednurk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Wow, I havent been back to this post for a while. It certainly generated some good discussion and great ideas.

Thanks all for the contributions. I'll have a play around in the next couple of weeks and let you all know what I liked best. I am leaning towards warramungas pressure cap idea...
frednurk

equipment: FSD Modular Pot with Electric Keg Boiler.

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development