Yeast filtering system

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Yeast filtering system

Postby Icarus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Has anyone attempted a yeast filtration system? :?: Been thinking about designing and building one to save having to let plain sugar washes settle. I have a few ideas
on how it might be able to be done, but no sense in re-inventing the wheel. Any suggestions welcome. The size of yeast I believe is around half a micron, so would need to be fine

cheers, Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Re: Yeast filtering system

Postby R-sole » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:13 am

I have all the bits for one to use on my beer but i haven't bothered putting it together.

You need a water filter housing and a 1 micron 'absolute' filter. Most water filters are listed as 'nominal' which won't do.

Most of the beer guys stand the filter housing on its head and either go from one keg to another under co2 pressure or just from the fermenter to the keg under gravity.
It's not a fast process.

ATM i'm just using 5 gms of gelatine mixed in 125ml of slightly cooled boiled water and stirred in for 20litres. Takes a day or to to settle out with all the trub for a nice clear beer.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Hardware Research & Development