G'Day G'Day.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'Day G'Day.

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm

G'Day ya bunch of champions!
First off, I Dig this forum heaps, So glad it exists. Thanks for that!
Been reading and reading, so much to learn!
Well I have begun my journey to becoming a toothless hillbilly drinkin shine down the back shed haha.
Found a 50L keg and ordered a few cheap bits off ebay to test myself and see how I go as a rookie.
Was over thinking the science but got some tips from the local brew shop and put my first ferment down yesterday.
cant wait to get stuck in and get to my first real run, I'll be sure to post all my stuff ups (or possible successes) along the way.

this is my beginning, first go in the bunnings drum 15 hrs in, (CAT phone Thermal camera)

cheers to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nu-2-Brew

Location: north Queensland.... ahem, um, I mean New Zeland lol
equipment: 50L Keg Boiler, 2" stainless steel 1 piece Reflux column, Gas burner. Fermenting in 25L screw top bunnings drums.

Re: G'Day G'Day.

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:39 am

Holy crap that’s a cool phone!! Welcome to the forum mate, lots to learn here if you’re willing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:54 pm

Cheers lol this phone is awesome for many things. Definitely am willing to learn. Like when I saw almost 40 degrees on the ferment temp, went straight to reading about hight heat yeast info...
Nu-2-Brew

equipment: 50L Keg Boiler, 2" stainless steel 1 piece Reflux column, Gas burner. Fermenting in 25L screw top bunnings drums.

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:56 pm

Welcome to the forum Mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now you need to provide full details of this phone as one of my goals is to finally have a flir system on one. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Brendan » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:54 pm

Mate, hillbillys in the back shed don't use thermal cameras. That's heaps cool!

Welcome from a fellow Nth QLDer (currently behind enemy lines). :greetings-waveyellow:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:18 pm

haha cheers guys, the phone is a CAT S62 pro, FLIR thermal is awesome.
I think I jumped the gun a bit with my first ferment, some of my still bits aren't here yet ...derp.
Nu-2-Brew

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:49 am

Welcome Nu
You did not jump the gun mate, you simply decided to let the wash settle for a couple of xtra days lol
Enjoy the pastime mate
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Tue May 03, 2022 3:17 pm

I've done a few runs now and i think i had sulphur in the molasses as i got it from a stockfeed shop with nothing really on the label. There was a fart smell coming off the first run so i added it back to the next run and it happened again and again, so my plan now is to run like a spirit run with all the low wines and add alot more copper to the column. but i have put oak in the proofed down bottles to try see if the taste would improve but it has a weird plastic/rubber aftertaste to it. also when i proofed it down with spring water it all went cloudy so i gotta figure that out too... any tips or input would be much appreciated guys. cheers and have a good one
Nu-2-Brew

Postby bluc » Tue May 03, 2022 3:31 pm

Nu-2-brew what is your column made off do you have copper in vapour path?
Pretty sure you will find sulphured molasses wont ferment at all..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby BigRig » Tue May 03, 2022 4:17 pm

Is this 100% molly or sugar added?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Tue May 03, 2022 4:30 pm

How fast did you run it?
Did you do cuts?
I get worried when you say “I got info from brew shop”
It went cloudy because you collected deep into tails and the oils went nuts when you added water
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Wed May 04, 2022 5:19 am

I found I had a weird smell taste of rubber/plastic when I did my 100% corn wash. I blamed the angel yeast but I am fairly certain the fault is mine and I did not let the wash settle and actually burnt the particles in the wash when I ran it.

As for the sulphur smell I had that once when I forgot to put the copper roll in the vapour path, I aired it for a day or 2 and the angels sorted it out for me.

Good luck
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby bluc » Wed May 04, 2022 11:16 am

Yea i get same taste like the smell of a bike tube. I am working on a solution using steam..
: :text-+1: on too low into tails causing the cloudiness..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Fri May 06, 2022 1:13 pm

GDay guys. Thanks for the quick responses. I did do cuts, I had all my blends go cloudy eg. 123 in a batch 456 in another, and so on. My still is all stainless with a sight glass tube at the bottom with about 2 1/2 m of copper stuffed in the top, It is a reflux column. My ferments looked like they went well as in bubbled away nice and i measured them all and watched them for about a week or so. the yeast i used was T58. I left the tops open for a few days and thats when i put the oak sticks in, that took alot of the warm taste away but left the rubbery plastic aftertaste...
Nu-2-Brew

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Fri May 06, 2022 1:19 pm

Hey, Stig, I ran it pretty slow and the info i got from the brew shop contradicts all the actual science i know lol. so I only listen but I dont take it as gospel for sure thats why I'm here not on the phone to them :handgestures-thumbupleft: I habe a faily good understanding of chemical titration and distilation but as I'm only new to the alcohol side of things i habe alot to learn. my cuts were in 200-350 ml jars.
Nu-2-Brew

Postby Nu-2-Brew » Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm

BigRig, I did add sugar My mix was 9lb Molasses, 2Kg raw sugar, 1/2Kg Brown sugar, lemon juice to get the ph down to 5 and the SafAle T58 Yeast. It measured 1090 and stopped at around 1005. The other Question i forgot to answer was the tails, I did take it to just past 20 but that jar hasnt been proofed down yet and wasnt added to any blend. My thought is to just proof it all down to 35-40 and run it all again properly cos the way I done it was totally wrong... what I did was, some of the first run when it tasted terrible and didnt smell much better, was added it back to the next run. What I was thinking and hoping for was a more traditional type thing (orthentic) if you will, not wanting to make neutral and adding anything back to it. my rookie head thought if i ran it again it would sort of fix it but in my haste to try this, in the end it just didnt fix anything it just added time to what shoulda been a stripping run, now, I realised this needs to be treated like strip and spirit runs seperately to get a half decent result ... I think lol.

I will Get this one day.
Nu-2-Brew

Return to Welcome Centre