Howza

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Howza

Postby Liquor_Down_Under » Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:15 pm

Hey, I'm Dave, been distilling for... about a year? I think? I moved on to add distilling after only brewing beer for some time. My setup is pretty simple- I bought a basic reflux attachment to go onto my electric brewery (Grainfather). It was a simple way to get into distilling and make a spirit I can then use for various things. I still brew of course (I've got a keg of brown ale carbonating right now), it's just I've added something new to experiment and have fun with.

For the most part I make various liqueurs with the spirit. I make the usual, straw/blue/black/raspberry, mint, amaretto, chocolate, and so forth. I get my recipes off various websites, though typically I halve the sugar, following the recipes as written gives alcoholic sugar water rather than something nice (at least to my tastebuds).

I also make skittle vodka. It's pretty simple- I get a heap of skittles, separate the flavours, and soak one colour in spirit for about an hour or so. Basically until the colour gets stripped from the skittles. I mix the resulting drink with lemonade, it's quite refreshing. I recommend getting the berry skittles, the flavours I've tried from that version have all been great.

I'm also sitting the spirit on wood and making a... rum? It's a sugar wash so I think it's technically rum I'm making? Anyway it first sits on wood chips, then gets moved into a small barrel. I used to use the barrel to mature port, now it's spirit. I have an unusued empty barrel and when I've built up enough spirit to fill it I'll use that one too. It makes a drink that's somewhat simple but quite nice. I usually have it with coke.

Hello all!
Liquor_Down_Under

equipment: Basic reflux still

Re: Howza

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:59 pm

Welcome Dave
We have a few beer brewers here as well as distillers. Lots of good info in the newbie section and heaps of recipes in the tried and true section.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:17 pm

G’Day Dave.
I remember making redskin, banana, musk stick vodkas , basically any lolly that would dissolve was fair game .
Back in the early 2000’s
Wait till you make rum from molasses if you think neutral on oak is good :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Have fun heading down this rabbit hole you’ve just stepped into
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Liquor_Down_Under » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:31 am

The Stig wrote:G’Day Dave.
I remember making redskin, banana, musk stick vodkas , basically any lolly that would dissolve was fair game .
Back in the early 2000’s
Wait till you make rum from molasses if you think neutral on oak is good :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Have fun heading down this rabbit hole you’ve just stepped into

I have been considering getting molasses, are there any places that sell it bulk in SA you know of?
Liquor_Down_Under

equipment: Basic reflux still

Postby RobMichelle » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:43 am

Hi Dave , I not long did a molasses run, I just went to the local feed store or ag place, purchased 2.8 ltr bucket or thy had 20ltr pail, really stinks the house out, well I thought it was nice wife didn’t , I brew stout so i love the smell anyway. Enjoy and welcome
RobMichelle
Site Donor

equipment: Airstill

Postby harold01 » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:19 am

Gawler fodder, I got an IBC of it a couple of months back, there prices are good
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby Bamboo » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:45 am

Geez Harold......an IBC that's a serious amount of rum! :))
Bamboo

equipment: Yet to build

Postby harold01 » Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:04 pm

its the only way to make sure some of it reaches a respectable age
harold01
Site Donor

equipment: 4'' reflux

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jul 13, 2024 12:59 pm

Then Harold can use the IBC as a fermenting vessel lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre