Hi from Newcastle

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Newcastle

Postby chabazite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi folks,
Im a first timer that decided to get into distilling as something worthwhile and interesting. Currently trying to build a 2 1/2" boka from scratch with a view to running it tuned and detuned to get some variety in products. Not keen on using essences and would like to learn more about the craft by getting into brewing different mashes to make different spirits. Did a chemistry degree about twenty years ago so i understand the basis of distilling but its still a world of its own and i like that. Keen to meet other local newcastle distillers and check out their kits and ideas over time and learn where some of the better ingredients are sourced locally and their techniques for making gear.
chabazite

equipment: 2 1/2 inch boka

Re: Hi from Newcastle

Postby Kenster » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Welcome chaba, is boka, is good...you seem to be approaching this with the right strategy...welcome, good luck and happy learnin.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Welcome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
While your building a boka throw toghether a pot so you can do proper flavoured washes :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby chabazite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

how different in product is a pot still vs a boka with the packing removed?
chabazite

Postby rumdidlydum » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Not much in flavour but speed is the major difference. :D
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby Woodsy71 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:06 pm

There were a few Novocastrians around some time back. Not sure where Linny, BigD and co are now...

Boka will test your patience. Pot still will be an asset :smile:

Great women in Newcastle :cool:

Had a tops day at Broadmeadow Races many years back :mrgreen:

Enjoy the show man :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby peter01010101 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:06 am

Welcome from one Novacastrian noob to another. A pot still is a nice simple build to get started with also. I'm still sorting out some local suppliers but happy to share whatever I have found.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby peter01010101 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Great women in Newcastle :cool:

:text-+1:
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.

Postby chabazite » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Peter, looking at simplicity, there are some easy plans for reflux stills that after going around some of the local suppliers i reckon you would get most of those parts with ease and its a simple silver solder to assemble. Reece are expensive, Broadmeadow co-op is a lot cheaper but the customer service if you are not a tradie is pretty lacklustre and some things must be bought in more bulky lengths.
chabazite

Postby sp0rk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 am

Luckys Scrap Metal at Teralba is the go for offcuts of pipe, I paid about $35 for a 1.4m length of 4"
They sometimes have bends and reducers sitting around too, very well worth the drive
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby peter01010101 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:55 am

sp0rk wrote:Luckys Scrap Metal at Teralba is the go for offcuts of pipe, I paid about $35 for a 1.4m length of 4"
They sometimes have bends and reducers sitting around too, very well worth the drive

Thanks for the heads up sp0rk. I did the rounds of the scrappies closer to Newcastle with no result. The only place with copper (and it was all bent and twisted shit) will only buy, won't sell to the public.

chabazite wrote:Peter, looking at simplicity, there are some easy plans for reflux stills that after going around some of the local suppliers i reckon you would get most of those parts with ease and its a simple silver solder to assemble. Reece are expensive, Broadmeadow co-op is a lot cheaper but the customer service if you are not a tradie is pretty lacklustre and some things must be bought in more bulky lengths.

I have dealt with the CoOp and found them OK. Might depend on who you get on the day. And it was quiet when I was there. Tradelink at Broadmeadow are also very good. I recently finished a pot still and now I'm getting bits and pieces together for a reflux.
peter01010101

Postby R3dRanga » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:36 pm

Woodsy71 wrote:Great women in Newcastle :cool:

Why, thank you very much! :))

Greetings chabazite! (and peter)

I'm in Newy, but I'm midway through my 2nd ever wash... so I'm afraid I'll have little to offer but perhaps some occasional banter.
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Return to Welcome Centre