Greetings from Yorkshire

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings from Yorkshire

Postby YHB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,

Its nice to see some old faces here but it is great to see new ones with new ideas, opinions and skills that I have been reading about for some time, but I thought it was time I said hello.

For those who do not know me, I am form Yorkshire in the UK. Edit ( :oops: I guess most people would have guessed that from the title :oops: )

I am still in the reading / learning / building cycle and according to a couple of folk, will stop there. Yes - I have to confess that I have taken a bit longer than most people to to build a BOK.

My BOK is of the 2" variety from the "early steam punk" era.

Much of selection process on what / how to build has been a result of my limited tools and workshop facility. which are basically hacksaw, file and hand drill.

1.jpg

2.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

Only the Boiler to go now - I am converting a 6 gallon 3 kW stainless tea urn, I have removed the Thermostat and connected via a resistance type SSR controller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YHB

equipment: 2" BOK with bolted slant plates and a homemade needle valve, sitting on a wooden boiler

Re: Greetings from Yorkshire

Postby Kimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Gday YHB,
welcome to the forum mate.
interesting looking rig you got there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
what sort of washes are you looking at doing?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:41 pm

G'Day YHB,glad to have you on board,you're off to a great start,we love photos :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cheers
BD
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Hi YHB and welcome
and don't be worried about taking a while to use a 'decent' still......... :oops: :laughing-rolling:
Looks great BTW
Frank

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Welcome to the forum YHB.....have read a few of your posts on other forums ............I love the look of that rig you have built.

How well does that spoke needle valve work???.........at one stage i was considering making one
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby stubbydrainer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:54 pm

g'day YHB
welcome, nice looking rig too

I like it, it has a "steam era" look about it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
good work
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby devotus » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Gday mate, nice looking column.

That sounds gay :?
devotus

equipment: copper alembic pot still
+
1.5 inch VM column

Postby Panda » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:49 pm

Welcome, I have noticed you around.

Now that sounds gay
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby maheel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Panda wrote:Welcome, I have noticed you around.

Now that sounds gay

well you did design the "panda blue power controller" ( PB-PC for short? patent pending) lol :laughing-rolling:

oh and welcome YHB
maheel

Postby YHB » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 pm

kimbo wrote:Gday YHB,

Gday to you too Kimbo

I was lured into distilling by the promises made by the manufacturers of the AirStilll / TurboStill and the like. I foolishly believed them when they claimed that I could make a neutral alcohol, pour it into sveral bottles, add a different flavour to each and have a fully stocked drinks cabinet in one afternoon.

I have read somewhere that perhaps my expectations were a bit high, but I still like the theory. One of the reasons that I enjoy this particular forum is that there is an active group of members that appear to use his method and support like minded people. I want to give it a go with an open mind first before moving on.

I have built the Bok with a bit of flexibility, a removable reflux column, a head with enough cooling for stripping / pot still work and a small central column for use with a Gin basket, if the Gin Essence does not live up to the advertisments.

I am getting on in years and cannot see the attraction of aging a barrel of brandy that I may not be around to enjoy. I want drinks that can be enjoyed young.

So to answer your question, I will be cutting my teeth on washes that I can make neutral spirits from easily and reliably. After that who knows?

Once again - Thanks for the Welcome

Toodlepip

Brian
YHB

equipment: 2" BOK with bolted slant plates and a homemade needle valve, sitting on a wooden boiler

Postby Kimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:34 pm

sounds Good YHB,
theres a lot to be said for the store bought cordials.
theres a few really good theads in the forum on these flavours.
i would like to suggest tomato paste washes and the like for really good neutrals ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 pm

YHB wrote:

Gday to you too Kimbo

I was lured into distilling by the promises made by the manufacturers of the AirStilll / TurboStill and the like. I foolishly believed them when they claimed that I could make a neutral alcohol, pour it into sveral bottles, add a different flavour to each and have a fully stocked drinks cabinet in one afternoon.

I have read somewhere that perhaps my expectations were a bit high, but I still like the theory. One of the reasons that I enjoy this particular forum is that there is an active group of members that appear to use his method and support like minded people. I want to give it a go with an open mind first before moving on.

I have built the Bok with a bit of flexibility, a removable reflux column, a head with enough cooling for stripping / pot still work and a small central column for use with a Gin basket, if the Gin Essence does not live up to the advertisments.

I am getting on in years and cannot see the attraction of aging a barrel of brandy that I may not be around to enjoy. I want drinks that can be enjoyed young.

So to answer your question, I will be cutting my teeth on washes that I can make neutral spirits from easily and reliably. After that who knows?

Once again - Thanks for the Welcome

Toodlepip

Brian

Are you Frank's uncle?

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Geez your a fuckin smart arse Mac :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 pm

kimbo wrote:Geez your a fuckin smart arse Mac :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease:

Well Little Dong has gone quiet, so someone has to take up the slack :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby YHB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 am

McStill wrote:
YHB wrote:

Are you Frank's uncle?

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Something caused this great hilarity.

Anyone like to explain what I am missing?
YHB

Postby Cane Toad » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:58 am

I've been too bloody busy :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: The reason for all the hilarity YHB is that Frank,bless his sole,loves his Airstill :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:50 am

YHB wrote:
McStill wrote:
YHB wrote:

Are you Frank's uncle?

Something caused this great hilarity.

Anyone like to explain what I am missing?

Hey YHB
some forum members are simply in awe (and no doubt jealous) that I am capable of producing consistent, quality product from a basic and inexpensive distillation apparatus and that I have worked tirelessly and cheerfully within such (percieved) limitations without ever having the need to show anyone else how big my column is. I am sure you will do well with whatever still you choose.

(McStill, my uncles are from Lancashire and BD why do you want to bless the bottom of my shoes??? :teasing-neener:
:laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby R-sole » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 am

It's the bottom dwelling piscatorial creature that he wants to bless
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bundy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:46 pm

welcome from another yorkshire lad,allthough i'v been here for 54 years it takes awhile to get used to this australian humour. the lads will take the piss out of you for a while but all in good fun. enjoy the forum and learn and ask questions and thay will help all thay can.
cheers
Bundy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby YHB » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 pm

No offence taken - just trying to play catch-up.
YHB

Next

Return to Welcome Centre