G'day from double-ya A

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from double-ya A

Postby cdbrown » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:35 am

Hi All,

Been a homebrewer for a couple of years doing all grain batches on a 3v HERMS rig and pumping out 42L batches. The art of distilling has intrigued me so I thought what better way than joining up to this forum for a good read. Don't have any distilling equipment as I don't know what to get. I like the idea of knocking something up as I built my brew rig from scratch. I guess the spirits I'm interested in is whiskey (scotch and tennessee), bourbon and gin. My grandma loves brandy so if I could get to a level of making something decent I'm sure she'll appreciate it (and make the pension go a bit further!)

Any way - lots of info on here to get through, if there's any questions on homebrewing then I'll try and help otherwise I guess I'll be the one asking the questions!.

Cheers
-cdbrown
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Re: G'day from double-ya A

Postby Kimbo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:42 am

Gday CD,
welcome to the forum, sound like your halfway there already.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:44 am

Welcome CD,great to have you as part of this magnificent forum,feel free to ask away mate,there is a great amount of knowledge to be had here :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum CD, the spirits you are interested all require either a pot still of plated column still. Examples of both can be seen in the appropriate sections of the forum. A simple pot still is easy and cheap to build and might be a good starting point for you. It sounds like you probably already own the rest of the gear that you will need.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby cdbrown » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll take a look at the pot and plated column sections of the forum. Off to do some reading. I'm guessing a 50L keg will come in handy for distilling?

Cheers
-cdbrown
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:27 pm

Welcome CD, I'm sure your all grain experience is going to help you get great product :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Mr/Mrs/Ms Brown, all good here in this forumland
and you really ARE on the way with your brewing background.
Please keep us all (well, at least 8-} folk like I) informed on how your Scotch/Bourbon ideas come to pass and I happen to know there's a few folk (at least) here whom are 'with you on that one'.
Love the signature byline BTW

(edit: hmmm fingers way ahead of brain ATM)
Frank

Return to Welcome Centre