Melb Noob

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Melb Noob

Postby zxrno1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Hi Guys
New to all of this, on my second distill today and following the guidelines from the forum instead of the what the T500 manual says, to see the difference, I'm using the still spirts pack for this run but am going to try the TWP for the third run, once I find bakers yeast, two supermarkets this morning had all sold out of that and citric Acid, and the third I went to had a line 50 people deep trying to get in so I gave up looking for today.
The first run was a bit harsh as I followed the instructions and threw the first 150ml out and kept the rest without doing any cuts, I didn't mind the irish cream and black Sambucca it made, but the vodka may have stripped paint lol, but after reading here I'm looking forward to trying cuts today and hopefully getting a better product.
zxrno1

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Melb Noob

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Good going mate, you’re off and running. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby dans.brew » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:32 pm

Welcome aboard... enjoy the ride! :greetings-waveyellow:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby zxrno1 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:58 pm

This is the way I'm running the T500 any tips please let me know

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zxrno1

Postby Doubleuj » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:15 pm

Looks great
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Professor Green » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 pm

Welcome zxrno1.

Switching from the turbo products to TPW and cutting will vastly improve your results.

That's a nice little set up. Once little safety suggestion I would make would be to move any power/extension cable joins away from the wet area. I can't see where the T500 boiler cable goes but I'm guessing it connects to the white extension cable that runs along the back above the splashback.

Addition of a voltage controller might help your runs. Reducing the power once the boiler comes up to temperature such that the contents remain at nice rolling boil can be advantageous.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:07 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby zxrno1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:49 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome zxrno1.

Switching from the turbo products to TPW and cutting will vastly improve your results.

That's a nice little set up. Once little safety suggestion I would make would be to move any power/extension cable joins away from the wet area. I can't see where the T500 boiler cable goes but I'm guessing it connects to the white extension cable that runs along the back above the splashback.

Addition of a voltage controller might help your runs. Reducing the power once the boiler comes up to temperature such that the contents remain at nice rolling boil can be advantageous.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Hey Professor, thank you for the observation I have moved the power board, and I have just finished my first TPW last weekend and tried cuts for the first time, I basically followed the instructions from this site to run the T500 and wow what a difference in finished product, smelling the cuts to work out the difference from Heads to harts and tails will take a bit more experience, but I found after discarding the first 200ml, the next 750ml smelt chemically, the next 2 lts or smelt very neutral and the last 800ml-1lt smelt different again so I kept the middle 2 lts and them diluted that to 40%, much better than when I was following the instruction that can with the still.

Mark
zxrno1

Postby Professor Green » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Grumpydude » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi zxrno1, welcome to the club. If you cant locate citric acid some lemon juice will do the job buddy. Cheers.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby hgwells » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:40 am

Hi Mark,

I’ve had a T500 for a couple of years, you can get reasonable product from it.
One thing I found useful before I went to a water tank and pump was the still spirits water flow regulator, (has a small pump, holding tank and a float to fill it) as the T500 unit is very sensitive to changes in water pressure particularly if you have other people in the house using water while you are in your run.

Welcome to the hobby.

Cheers

P
Last edited by hgwells on Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Return to Welcome Centre