Getting Subtle Flavours in Neutral Spirits

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Getting Subtle Flavours in Neutral Spirits

Postby tororm » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:05 am

After 6 years of lurking I've FINALLY bought a still- I will receive it in the next week or so (4 plate bubbler with an additional 500mm packed column) .

I'll mainly be making gin and vodka. The plan is to do some TPW's first to get used to the still and and then decide what to do next.

I'm struggling to answer one question though- most commercially made vodkas I drink (right now in the glass is a sunny hills distillery vodka from SA) do have a subtle flavour and certain thickness to them. Will I need to move to grain based washes to replicate this texture/flavour?
tororm

equipment: 4 copper plate 3" bubbler, gin basket

Re: Getting Subtle Flavours in Neutral Spirits

Postby dans.brew » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:59 am

Welcome tororm!
Perhaps pop into the welcome centre and introduce yourself there. In your intro you can ask any questions you may have.
Sounds like you will be starting of with a nice bit of kit. :happy-partydance:
In answer to your question... the tpw and ffv washes are really for making that clean tasting neutral with no flavour, but the wbab wash or a grain based wash is where you will get the subtle grain flavour or in some cases mouthfeel your talking about. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby The Stig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:24 am

Forget the TPW in a bubbler even with a packed section .
Go for something like a weetbix wash
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 am

Gday mate, good on you for finally taking the plunge.
I’d agree with Stig and use a wbab to start and see how it tastes, or, Sunny Hill do have a profile on here, maybe they’ll give away some trade secrets :pray: :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby The Stig » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:12 am

I know the trade secret :teasing-neener:
Wheat in field becomes vodka in bottle
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tororm » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:28 am

Thanks for all the advice- I'll run a TPW through it as a scarificial and then get straight into wbab.

I'm also keen to give a all corn mash a go using enzymes- but I reckon I'll put a few wbabs through and get a feel for the still first.
tororm

equipment: 4 copper plate 3" bubbler, gin basket

Postby Sunny Hill » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:11 pm

tororm wrote:I'm struggling to answer one question though- most commercially made vodkas I drink (right now in the glass is a sunny hills distillery vodka from SA) do have a subtle flavour and certain thickness to them. Will I need to move to grain based washes to replicate this texture/flavour?

Hello Tororm, I hope you are enjoying our Vodka!

Basically yes, you will need to use a grain based wash to get that grain flavour through the still.

We use 100% wheat from our property for the mash, once fermented two of these are stripped fast through our 4 plate column still then combined in our 12 plate still for the spirit run.

The mouthfeel comes from a combination of the grain and also the fact that we do not carbon filter anything, carbon filtering will remove impurities but aslo strip mouthfeel that you will find in most high end vodkas.

Good luck on your journey.
Sunny Hill
Site Donor

equipment: 5 Star 12 plate 8" 1000L
5 Star 4 plate 8" 1000L
1000L HLT/Mash Tun
All Steam Jacketed
100L milk can 6”

Postby Wellsy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:56 pm

Welcome Tororm
Wow !!!!
It speaks volumes for the forum that a commercial operator is happy to share what they use as ingredients and the techniques used to get exactly what you are looking for.

Good luck mate you got it straight from the horses mouth so you are making an excellent start to reaching your goal.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Welcome Centre