Hi All, Great Site! & a few quick questions

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby snig » Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Everyone, Great website!
Im in Adelaide SA and work for Holden
I'm only new to distilling, a mate bought one last year up the river. We liked it so myself and another mate went halves in one
We bought the turbo 500 without really looking too much into it.
When doing more research we could have saved some $ and built our own, but that can happen later on down the track ( We are looking for mainly bourbon too)
We are looking a doing a turbo cook very soon, it has been fermenting for over a week
Just a few quick questions as I didnt want to start a new topic and I've read a lot of posts, Are you meant to take cuts with the turbo 500? The still spirits vid just says to discard the initial 50 ml (foreshots?) Then the rest is good to go (she said the end is when it stops flowing)..... but reading on here there is alot more to it than that.
I used the recipe from the HBS 8kg sugar (a little too much I know) turbo classic yeast and all the clearing crapola
Is it a good time to start testing the cuts? or should I wait until I do a TPW then start doing it?
I'm still learning all the terminology and lingo
Once again, great site and I can't wait to experiment and learn :text-thankyoublue: in advance

Snig
snig

equipment: Noob with a turbo 500

Re: Hi All, Great Site! & a few quick questions

Postby SBB » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 am

G'day Snig
Yes there is a lot more to it, and yes you should be doing cuts.
The following link will provide you with most of the information you need, but you will also find more spread around the site.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby snig » Tue May 08, 2012 10:43 am

Hi SBB

I read that one last night, still trying to take all the info in.
Then I will have to explain it all to my mate and go from there

Just confirming whether all that info relates to turbo 500 still and turbo yeasts etc..
Thanks for the fast reply!
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Last edited by snig on Tue May 08, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
snig

Postby Kimbo » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 am

Hi Snig,
welcome to the forum mate, you'll learn heaps here.
Sit back and enjoy the ride :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue May 08, 2012 10:58 am

Cuts is crucial. I have a HBS Pure Distilling still and started like you (Also in SA, we probably shop at the same places).

You do NOT need the turbo or the clearing agents or HBS sugar. Chuck all of that for a tomato paste wash. You will never bother with expensive turbo yeast again after just one.

It is $15-$19 for me to do 50L of TPW.

But as for that video where she keeps the lot? PFFFT! No chance. Get a LOT of jars and paper towels. Cut the run constantly into 200ml lots.

Cover with a paper towel and rubber band and number them and wait 24-48hrs.

Say you get 10-15 jars. Smell jar #1 compared with jar #5. Then compare jar #10. Trust me you will be able to pick the heads (jar 1-3 maybe) from hearts (4-9) from tails (jars 10 onwards).

Now that's a pretty rough estimate but you do yourself a disservice by mixing the whole run like that video.

So no expensive HBS products and lots and lots of cuts is my tip.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Tue May 08, 2012 11:17 am

snig wrote:Just confirming whether all that info relates to turbo 500 still and turbo yeasts etc..
Thanks for the fast reply!
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

It pretty much relates to all distilling and all types of stills. The quantities of the differnt cuts Foreshots/ Heads/ Hearts/ Tails will vary though.
Id suggest printing it out and showing your mate ......or you could be fighting a loosing battle.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Bloke,

Welcome,

just a few pts...Go with the cut as advised...it's a skill you have to learn regardless and it takes experience..start now!

A turbo classic will produce an odour that will be in near most of your jars...it's a stink to me but if your not used to it it's confusing...Turbos can mast clear cuts with this odour. pewrsonally i'd call it expereince only and throw the crap out.

For a bourbon Check punkins bourbon take off receipe its good value.

Hey if that still is a brand spanker don't forget to do a vinegar and steam run at least before wanting real stuff off it.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 08, 2012 7:32 pm

Welcome to the party Snig :handgestures-thumbupleft: There are lots of helpful blokes around here mate,any question,don't be afraid to ask :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Frank » Tue May 08, 2012 8:23 pm

welcome Mr Snig
I am sure you are MORE than enough informed already :handgestures-thumbupleft: however I'd like to make two points for consideration:
1. the woman in the video OWNS a HBS and, therefore, purely by logical deduction, the information provided in the video is likely to be compromised IYKWIM ;-)
2. the foreshots are a no no (DONT consume). The rest is variations on 'drinkability' quality and small taste tests of the cuts (a la the great smell tests suggestion here) will also help make things a lot more obvious, I reckon.

Have fun mate and tell all how it goes for you plz.
Frank

Postby crow » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 pm

G'day Snig
You'll love this site , if its not on here then these blokes will know the answer or at least where to find the imfo you want , their a cluey bunch . I'm from up the river about 15 min. out of Waikerie , in Vic now :handgestures-thumbdown: , making Holdens eh keep up the good work only cars worth driving unless ya want to spend 100+ grand
Last edited by crow on Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

g'day snig
welcome to the site
all the info you need to get yourself liver damage is here :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
pull up a stump, you'll enjoy yourself here:handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Goldie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:45 am

Welcome and like everyone has said you will find more than enough information here to feed your new hobby.
I just starting taking cuts too, its amazing the taste difference after letting it air for a day. Get practicing, have fun.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 am

Goldie wrote:its amazing the taste difference after letting it air for a day. Get practicing, have fun.

I agree. No need for carbon filtering. Just let it breathe for 24-48hrs. A jar, a sheet of cheap paper towel + a rubber band to keep the dust and bugs out and chuck it in the man-cave for a couple days and it will clean up a lot.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby snig » Wed May 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the intros and feedback guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Backyard brewer- we did a run last night of the turbo and did all the jars with rubber bands, paper towel etc.. Definitely noticed the difference in smells. This will be the last turbo run so I’ll keep you updated when we do the TPW
I haven’t told the Mrs. I used all her empty jars yet!
Croweater, My mates have properties near Murbko not far from Waikerie by Enduro rd. They have been doing it for a while but haven’t done any research, just what the HBS told them, I’ll try and lead them in the right direction.
Cheers SBB I printed everything out and convinced my mate we need to do this for a superior product, he agreed :-D
bt1 – Thanks for the tips, we’ll try the bourbon soon
Cheers for the tip Frank, My opinion of HBS is going south every day
I’ll let it air out then decide what we are going to do. Then start some TPW and continue researching

Once again
Cheers
Snig
snig

Postby grehund » Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Welcome Snig,

Enjoy the journey! Don't worry too much about trying to learn everything straight away. I've found that DOING is far better than just reading.

I'm pretty new to this too, but this forum is THE BEST source of info & advice. Everyone is friendly & ready to help.

Cheers! :text-welcomewave:
grehund

equipment: 4-plate 4" Bubble Cap
50L Keg Boiler, 2x 2.2kW Elements (1x Voltage Controller)
STC-1000 Temp Controlled Fermentation Fridge

Postby audistiller » Sat May 12, 2012 1:46 am

Gday Snig,

I'm new to all this as well, and like most other things, reading is vital and sometimes I stay up all night reading, but actual hands on experience is when the learning begins.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby bt1 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:38 am

Hello Snig fellow south aussie,

I'd enjoy providing any details you wish in making a bourbon style brew...anything to get you off those turbos, save you a dollar or 10 and introduce you to the world of cold grains ferments and weevils...sounds like fun hey?

lol
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby snig » Sun May 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Cheers bt1, sure does sound like fun
On Saturday we added the cordial after cutting for a taste turned out better than my mates first time :) soaked the rest with chips
Put 2 lots of TPW down
Will update with results.

Cheers

Snig
snig

Postby MacStill » Sun May 13, 2012 8:03 pm

I just gotta say your avatar is a cracker, kind of reminds me of a guy that used to hang out here called Big Don..... anyone seen him lately? :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun May 13, 2012 8:08 pm

I think he's a cunt now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Next

Return to Welcome Centre