G'day from the Sunny Coast

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day from the Sunny Coast

Postby DamageInc » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:57 pm

Hello all, I have recently joined this site and very keen to get back into the hobby. I have been a beer brewer for many years but took on a "keto lifestyle" a few months ago which means beer is out. I have always loved scotch whisky and also nice oaky bourbons so that is what I mainly drink now. Also have been randomly buying different spirits to see if I like them or not. Turns out there's not many I don't like haha. Anyway, I did dabble in a bit of distilling about 10 years ago using a Pure Distilling still but ended up selling it to buy a Grainfather (which I totally regret now!).

Now I'm faced with the big decision about what still to buy to get back into it. I am trying to plan for what I am likely to want to make in the future and whilst I am sure at the start I'll be making simple neutrals and flavouring with essences I know it wont be long till I want to start experimenting with flavours from a pot still. I had toyed with the idea of making a ccvm still (like the one in the Still It youtube channel), however I just can't see myself finding the time to put into a project like that. So at this stage I have my eye on two different stills. One is FSDs 2" Boka with a pothead attachment. They seem to be what everyone recommends on here so it was the first one that caught my eye. I have also come across a guy named Mark Bass from south of Brisbane who makes some beautiful stills that look to be really high quality... so am torn between the two.

I'll be putting on a couple of TPW's tomorrow so that by the time I've made up my mind I will have some washes for a sacrificial run and also then for some stripping/spirit runs.

Thank you to everyone who posts on this forum! I have learnt so much from you all over the past week just reading your posts. I am really pumped to get started and look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Cheers

James
DamageInc

equipment: None yet. Wanting to learn

Re: G'day from the Sunny Coast

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Welcome James.
I’ll say only one thing , aftersales
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby DamageInc » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:23 pm

What do you mean Stig?

... am guessing after sales service? Yes that is definitely a consideration
Last edited by DamageInc on Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DamageInc

Postby The Stig » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:16 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
And a genuine business with ABN not some fly by nighter looking to make a quick buck
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:44 pm

Welcome damageinc
If you go with the five star product you will not be disappointed, I know I am not. Like you I prefer the brown spirits and had no idea what i needed.I stumbled across this site and after speaking with Andrew at five star was decided on a pot still. A further convo about future upgrades and I settled on the 4 inch. Don’t be afraid to jump straight into grain and sugar combinations rather than neutral and essence mate. I am drinking bourbon whiskey knock off after only 2 months and loving the mouth feel as well as the flavour.
My advice would be decide what you like to drink most and get a still that suits the best production of that spirit. Then once you have a few years supplies you can then start to experiment as your spirit gets even better.
Good luck whatever you decide mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby DamageInc » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:10 pm

Thanks Wellsy,

Yes am leaning towards the fsd as so many here swear by them. I am sure it won't be long until I do start using grains etc. I am lucky in that I still have some equipment from when I was brewing so will be able to get back into mashing pretty easily. Am also keen to try my hand at making a rum from scratch. I hadn't ever tried dark rum until a few months ago and love it. Even looking forward to trialling some gin recipes. I think my trouble will be knowing what to make first!
DamageInc

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:15 am

Lol mate
Yep I know that feeling oh too well.
Every time there is a discussion on a topic it’s a case of “ oh that sounds amazing I want to try that”
One big difference with brown spirits to beer is the generational improvements and the extra flavour layers you get from using backset and Dunder, it can’t be overestimated how important that can Beto some recipes. Have a read of the newbie section a couple of times and then the tried and true recipes.
I would also suggest you get a couple of fermenters instead of a giant one. That way you can run two or three different recipes at the same time.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Carol » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:50 am

H DamageInc
I have a FSD 2" boka and pot. There is a thread about it in Reflux Stills. Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Professor Green » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Welcome James.

The FSD 2" Boka with pothead attachment is an awesome combo and will enable you to make both neutral and flavoured spirits. Being 2" it will be a little slow but the next step up would be something like the 4" Neutraliser and that may be too big for your circumstances. If you're happy with smaller, more frequent runs then the 2" system on a 30 litre boiler is a good way to get started. You can always upgrade a bit later if you feel the need by getting a bigger boiler for the 2" pot configuration then upgrading the still as required. FSD gear holds good resale value ('coz it's such good quality) if you do decide to upgrade to a 4" system and wish to riase some funds towards doing so or you may be able to re-use some of the parts from the 2" system as part of the upgrade path.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi Damageinc,
Eh mate have a chat with Andrew and I'm sure he will put you on the right path depending on your budget.

Now I am a guy thats makes my own stuff but over the years first Mac and then Andrew have comeup with the goods everytime and to say the goods are first class is the reason the company is called 5 Star.

Forget those FB sellers as all they want to do is make a quick buck then forget you exist, now with 5 Star the after sales service as many members has said is second to none so my advise is make that call and you will never regret making it.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby hgwells » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:22 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:Hi Damageinc,
Eh mate have a chat with Andrew and I'm sure he will put you on the right path depending on your budget.

Now I am a guy thats makes my own stuff but over the years first Mac and then Andrew have comeup with the goods everytime and to say the goods are first class is the reason the company is called 5 Star.

Forget those FB sellers as all they want to do is make a quick buck then forget you exist, now with 5 Star the after sales service as many members has said is second to none so my advise is make that call and you will never regret making it.

Cheers Bryan

:text-+1: First class advice and after sales service from 5 star!!!
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby DamageInc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. Re-sale value is something I hadnt considered but worth thinking about for sure. Kind of like buying an LDV ute vs a Dmax. Think my mind is made up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
DamageInc

Return to Welcome Centre