Greetings From Melbourne

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Greetings From Melbourne

Postby tororm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello!

I thought I'd introduce myself properly!

After years of lurking on here + other forums I decided that 2020 was the perfect year to get started.

I picked up a modular 3" 4x bubble cap (pictured) + a gin basket (not pictured). Cooling is provided with the aid of a 30L tank and a brand new aluminium Land Rover radiator I managed to get off eBay for free- I'm still waiting on a fan controller for that but so far no issues even without the fan. I'll eventually replace all the coolant lines with something a bit more durable- the current ones get a bit too soft when warm for my liking.

Couple of pics: https://imgur.com/a/9N9xL56

The boiler is a cheapy from a homebrew place, modified with a digital SCR. Works great, however, I'm not happy with the distilling lid - it tends to slightly list to one side due to the weight of the still- I'll be purchasing a proper boiler soon.

To date, after the cleaning runs. I've run a couple of TPWs and can easily hit about 93% and I assume more with practice. I'm not a massive fan of the straight flavour I'm getting from the TPW so I ran the first batch again with pandan + a couple of star anise in the gin basket- delicious. Most of the second batch was used in making limoncello (well, more of a lemon vodka as I did not add any sugar- very refreshing with soda water).

Moving forward I've made my first AG wash today (Gladwell distillers malt). It was a pain in the ass and I've learnt that whilst BIAB with a pillowcase is possible- it's not the best- took me the best part of 3 hours to drain it out. It's currently cooling (hot cube) and I'll pitch the yeast tomorrow.

Thanks to all here for the huge knowledgebase- I wouldnt have been so confident in my first few runs without you!
tororm

equipment: 4 copper plate 3" bubbler, gin basket

Re: Greetings From Melbourne

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Tororm, sounds like you’ve hit the ground running.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Wellsy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Welcome tororm

You goi got have plenty of fun on here
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:01 pm

Welcome torom.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre