Building a still

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Building a still

Postby wadenewk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:12 pm

Hi everyone.

I'm new and am looking at building my own still. I was thinking of basing it on a T500.

I have a limmited budget but can get copper tube from work and i already have a 2inch ferrlue and triclamp. Can anyone give me the height of the column and the length and diameter of the condenser so i have a base to work from.

Regards
Wade
wadenewk

equipment: Looking to build a reflux still

Re: Building a still

Postby Doubleuj » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 pm

Gday wade, what you should build should be based on what you want to drink.
If you want a neutral/ vodka then forget about the t500 design and go for a boka style still.
But if you’re more interested in brown spirits like rum/ whiskey then a pot still is your better friend
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby wadenewk » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:31 pm

Hi.

I was looking to make neutral spirits from tpw but also thinking of making ujssm and rum.

My understanding is that while not the best at either i csn use a t500 style still as a potstill if i remove the packing and just run water through the condenser only, as well as using it for neutral with packing and water through the column for reflux. I may be wtong about this though.

Trying to keep the build under $150 for the still head.

All advice is appreciated

Cheers
Wade
wadenewk

Postby scythe » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 am

A couple more questions then wade.

Why under $150?
What diameter can you get from your work?
Can you also get other fittings?
Will your work be donating the copper or is that in the $150?
What tooling do you already have?

If it were me I would make a modular 4" double reducer or slant plate style boka with a shotgun condenser instead of a coil reflux condenser.
Because once you are tired of long runs you will look at making a 4" bubbler and this will mean you have all the 4" copper tube required.

But if the budget won't stretch to 4" go for 2" and make the RC 500mm long.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Lesgold » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:30 am

Have a look at a CCVM. If made as a modular unit, you can have both a reflux and pot still. If you can get the copper from your work, the only costs will be a few more tri clamps, seals and consumables.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby wadenewk » Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi,

Got a lenght of 2" thats 950mm long, got 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" which are all easy to get. Got oxy acetylene gear and a basic workshop.

Looking to make something to fit on a 35L boiler to run in the kitchen. Only looking at $150 budget as ive seen modular stills on www.5stardistilling.com.au for not much more posted. Was just trying to make my own as a bit of a diy project.

Wade
wadenewk

Return to Welcome Centre