Noob from Newy (NSW)

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Noob from Newy (NSW)

Postby R3dRanga » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:46 pm

Hello, hello! :greetings-waveyellow:

A total noob from Newcastle (NSW). I’m lovin’ the hell out of this forum. Spending every spare minute reading and researching.

Spellbound by the simplicity and magical possibilities of the airstill I went straight to the local brew shop and purchased one… along with the Turbo Yeast Tri Pack. After only a few days I had successfully created some very useful liquid steriliser with a lovely acetone aroma! :oops:

In search of where I went wrong, I landed here. I’ve learnt so much in the past couple of weeks. I’ve currently got a 25L TPW on the go (looking very promising) and I can’t wait to start experimenting with what I’ve read up on cuts and double distilling. I’m planning a Weetbix (WBAB) wash next. Looking forward to the journey.

I don’t regret the airstill purchase. Given my very busy life (kids/running a business, etc, etc) I think it will suit me just fine for now, and I’m keen to learn how to get the most out of it.

I’ve so far gone the self-serve route to answer many noob questions, but I look forward to seeking tips and feedback in the near future.

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: Noob from Newy (NSW)

Postby hgwells » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 pm

Welcome RR,

Lots to learn & read here. Have fun!
hgwells
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
60L Milkcan Boiler
100L 5 Star Boiler
3x 2400 Elements
1x 3600 Element
Turbo-500

Postby Wellsy » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:21 am

Welcome RR
Like you I am very much the newbie mate. 1 thing I have discovered however is every still has it strengths and weaknesses and we all just need to learn to play to them.
I have just done my first WBAB wash for vodka and I can’t believe how good it tastes after just 2 distillations, stripping and a spirit run, with 1 more spirit run to go.
This is such a valuable resource, with such generous members, I was so lucky to find it.
Enjoy the journey mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Welcome RR.

There's a thread in the pot still section on getting the best from an air still.

I think WBAB or one of the other cereal based washes would be the best way to go with an air still as, being a pot still, it will not be able to strip all of the flavour out of the wash so with TPW you'll essentially be making a tomato whisky. If you're going to have any residual flavour in your spirits, wheat would be far preferable to tomato.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:33 pm

Welcome Red :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby R3dRanga » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:03 pm

Professor Green wrote:Welcome RR.

There's a thread in the pot still section on getting the best from an air still.

I think WBAB or one of the other cereal based washes would be the best way to go with an air still as, being a pot still, it will not be able to strip all of the flavour out of the wash so with TPW you'll essentially be making a tomato whisky. If you're going to have any residual flavour in your spirits, wheat would be far preferable to tomato.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Thanks Prof. Good advise. I did see that post just after I put down the TPW, but great to hear it again. Makes me super keen to try WBAB next.
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Return to Welcome Centre