Gday All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday All

Postby wombat » Sun May 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Been looking for awhile here and Home Distiller--- what a mountain of info and probably like most I wish I had found these sites before I had purchased from HBS - Thanks to all for their info.

Home brewing beer for 20 years, been stilling for around 4 yrs.
Have a super reflux with extension plus my mates pure still , I prefer the later.
Doing Turbos until around a yr ago, doing albran now but me mate I stil for whats turbos cause he is lactose intolerant, he reckons albran might stuff him up, plus tomatoes stuff him up too
Have 4 mouths to fill.
Ferment in 1/30, 2/60, 1/200ltr using electric blanket in winter to keep temp up.
Have on hand a 18 gal , 4 /50 ltr kegs.
It takes me nearly 3 days to stil the 30 and 2/60s, but havent been taking cuts , once it starts to drop below 80% I swap containers and keep the leis down to 30% and chuck that in the next stil.

Was trying to speed up the process, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at getting a pot stil and a new mc still VM.

Cheers wombat

Please hit me with ya thoughts please
wombat

equipment: 25 ltr electric boiler plus a pure distill , 4'' 4 plate FSD with copper packed extension on 80 ltr Boiler with 2.4 / 3.6 electric elements

Re: Gday All

Postby MacStill » Sun May 13, 2012 8:49 pm

G'day Wombat,

Pretty sure anything distilled wouldnt be a problem for your mate, I think only things you add after could pose a problem.... but I'm sure this would require some research on your mates behalf, so he can be comfortable with any decision he makes.

Anyway, welcome aboard! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your future still choice is the best IMHO :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 pm

G'day Wombat , there's a thread here by grumthehermit I reckon you'll find interesting reading its mainly about gluten but it discusses what does and doesn't carry over in distillation viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1204
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby wombat » Sun May 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks for the Welcome McStill

- was thinking my still choice was on the right path, but wondering what to do with the kegs I have , maybe use the 18 gal as boiler for pot stil and VM , then use the 50s to fill with what comes out the pot still, looking at electric though for the 18 gal keg.

Thanks Croweater for that link - have printed it out and will it give to my mate.

wombat
wombat

equipment: 25 ltr electric boiler plus a pure distill , 4'' 4 plate FSD with copper packed extension on 80 ltr Boiler with 2.4 / 3.6 electric elements

Postby audistiller » Sun May 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Gday Wombat,

Its great to see member numbers rising quickly, I'm sure everyone including yourself will benefit with the knowledge in this friendly place.

What part of this country are you located..?

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby R-sole » Mon May 14, 2012 5:17 am

Welcome. I hope you are going 3" with your new reflux still. You'll need it with your production schedule. :geek:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Welcome bloke,

wow that's fair run your doing...go as big as you can afford to cut down run time I reckon.

Enjoy!

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Frank » Mon May 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi Wombat
+1 on any comments re going 3" for your reflux still.
Mate, if you do find stuff re lactose intolerance and distillation, PLEASE keep us all informed (a la GTH Gluten thread) as its a real issue for many folk.
Cheers
Frank
Frank

Postby wombat » Mon May 14, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome fellas
Yep will be going 3'' - probably pot stil/ VM reflux combo ( Mcstil's )
Ausdistiller I live in Northern Victoria.
If I find anything on re: lactose intolerance and distillation I will post it.
Next hurdle will be to get me 18 gal keg cut and fitted to go probably.

Cheers wombat
wombat

Return to Welcome Centre