Hello again.

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hello again.

Postby felipe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:13 pm

Signed up a while ago and I guess I never said hello.

been distilling or years learn to "art" of distilling when I live in Sweden a decade ago and continued once I return to Oz.
Now with Covid I'm stuck working from home so I built a new column with the help of alliexpress.
I like to distil vodka and rum, have a Digiboil 65l as a boiler but my column is too heavy for it so it is suspended from the roof. Had to silicon the lid onto the boiler as it never really seal so well, and with the column, I have it need to work under pressure, more than it was designed for.

My rum usually turns out good, made with kviek and I add some vinegar into the wash to push more esters. My adult kids love my coconut rum. I prefer my dark spiced rum. The missies is a vodka lady.

ATM I'm looking for someone to help me convert a keg into a good boiler that can handle pressure, I gave it a try but my stick welding skill onto sheet metal are not great, ended up blow out a whole. Maybe I should get some copper ferrels which I could braise instead. If anyone has done this please I wold love to get some hints.

Well, that's me.
felipe

equipment: old boiler almost had it, got a keg and an element.
6-foot reflux column I made 30 years ago in uni gives me 96' if I control it carfully

Re: Hello again.

Postby bluc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Care to share details of your coconut rum i have tried and failed couple times..do you just use essence?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:58 am

Welcome and thanks for saying hello
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4ā€ Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby felipe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:16 pm

bluc wrote:Care to share details of your coconut rum i have tried and failed couple times..do you just use essence?

I buy some McKenzie's Moist Coconut Flakes from woollies or coles and macerate some undiluted white rum for a few weeks then pass it through a colander then clear it a bit though a coffee filter. Then water it down. About 4 packs of coconut to 2 litres of rum.

I have been playing with the idea of re-distilling it in a pot still to make it clear one day when I get time. I have been asked to make some coffee rum, so I may do that with a redistillation. I update when done.
felipe

equipment: old boiler almost had it, got a keg and an element.
6-foot reflux column I made 30 years ago in uni gives me 96' if I control it carfully

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:17 pm

I tried macerating while it tasted decent looks awful. Macerated then ran through pot still flavour didnt carry over. I am using essence till work this out.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:03 pm

bluc wrote:I tried macerating while it tasted decent looks awful. Macerated then ran through pot still flavour didnt carry over. I am using essence till work this out.

Try coconut water to bring it back to a % to rerun via pot still maybe ??
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Worth a shot :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:33 pm

Clutching at straws maybe :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby scythe » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:20 pm

You might have to use hearts of rum and then do a "Gin" run with the botanicals.
I would think that coconut would come through at lower %ABV as I think most of the flavour is from the oils (just guessing here).
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby LikkerSheWillLoveIt » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:17 am

Iā€™m a stainless fabricator. Where are you located? I can weld a keg boiler no problems at all.

Trent.
LikkerSheWillLoveIt

equipment: Home made 50L keg boiler. PID controlled. Stainless Column dual valved reflux still.

Return to Welcome Centre