Hi from Sam

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi from Sam

Postby Sam Smythe » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi, my name is Sam. I live in regional Victoria. I am 60 yo and very very new to to home distilling. I have my very first wash on now, which hopefully will be ready in the next day or two. Apart from that, I am a divorced father of 3 grown kids, love watching footy and cricket....all sports really, especially motor racing.
Oh, and I was given a home distilling kit for Christmas. It is an AirStill kit, and I really have no idea what I am doing lol
Sam Smythe

equipment: AirStill

Re: Hi from Sam

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:43 am

Welcome Sam
I believe there is a thread about getting the best out of your air still.
If you read the newbie section it will give you some good ideas.
There is lots to learn but plenty here who are happy to share their knowledge.
The rewards are well worth it
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:09 am

Thanks mate,
I'll look into that section
Sam Smythe

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:50 am

Hi,
I am currently looking through several topics, including the Newbie Corner, and I have to say what I am reading has me very concerned. I would have thought distilling alcohol was fairly straight forward, but apparently not!
The other issue I have (and no doubt it comes down to age...60) is I cant see any way to start a new topic. I have some very specific questions I want to ask, but I can't see how to do it.
Sorry for my stupidity, but I would really appreciate someone putting that behind them and help me out.
Best regards, Sam
Sam Smythe

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:14 pm

Hi Sam

Distilling spirit is simple, but we are all trying to distil something nice to drink and that takes time :laughing-rolling:

Starting a new topic given you are new I will assume it needs to be in the new to distilling section. If you look just under the koala with a flag you will see Portal>>board index. just press on the Board Index mate and it will take you to another page. The third black rectangle is the newbies to distilling section and the middle tab in that sect is beginners questions. Press that and it will take you the the beginners questions page. Just above donations information you will see a new topic tab ( it is about 2 inches from the top of a computer screen page) press that and you are off and running mate.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam Smythe » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 pm

Thanks Wellsy, will do :smile:
Sam Smythe

Postby R3dRanga » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi Sam!

Is it the little 4L airstill? If so, I have the same. I purchased mine around the same time, so also learning the ropes... and learning lots.

I'd be super keen to hear how you're going. I'm fumbling my way through, but totally obsessed with my new hobby!

Cheers,
RR
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby nudder12 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:49 pm

Sam Smythe wrote:Hi,
I am currently looking through several topics, including the Newbie Corner, and I have to say what I am reading has me very concerned. I would have thought distilling alcohol was fairly straight forward, but apparently not!

Best regards, Sam

Hi Sam.
Welcome to the forum.
Whether or not distilling is simple is kind of a subjective question - as you'll learn as you read more here. It really depends on what final result you're looking for.
Personally, I'm easily pleased and like to keep it simple, and that's working for me so far.
But good luck, and keep asking questions when you need to - the forum is very helpful.
nudder12

equipment: Still Spirits T500 reflux still

Return to Welcome Centre