Newbie - physical demands in running a still

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newbie - physical demands in running a still

Postby NFI » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 am

I am not a distiller at this stage but am considering going down that path.
I know I have a lot of reading to do and am in the process of doing that.
I have read the post (among others) on "Is this hobby for me" in Newbie corner and just have a couple of questions for now.
The topic covers some great things but one angle seems to be not covered: -
How physically challenging is the process of operating a still?
Are there reasonable ways to reduce the challenges using say pumps to transfer liquids to reduce physical challenges or would that just over complicate cleaning/sterilization of all equipment.
I have a physical disability and cannot lift/carry heavy loads and I don't think the boss lady would happy having to do the grunt work for me after a while?
She might be OK if I can put out a decent product. lol

I shall ask more of my newbie questions down the track.
Thanks
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Re: Newbie - physical demands in running a still

Postby BigRig » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:22 am

There are ways to make the hobby less physically demanding but that comes at a price. How much $$$ you want to invest is your call. Others will chime in but for me the physically demanding tasks are as follows. ( I do have youth on my side though so it isnt a concern at this time).

Starting a wash, filling up fermenter i carry buckets of water. Can be done with a hose.

Stirring wash can be a good arm workout. Some members have a drill with a paint stirrer to do this. Others use a pressure cleaner etc for extra aeration.

Transferring wash (or low wines) to boiler for stilling i again use buckets. This can be done with a siphon or a pump.

Setting up still with the stainless /copper can be heavy lifting but The modular stills make the job easy though and the components are not that heavy individually. Alternatively if u have a brew room or shed you can leave the still insitu. I dont so i have to set up and strip down everytime i use it. I try to coordinate my runs so i can leave it set up 3 or 4 days then i only have to set up once and strip down at the end.

Moving aging vessels could be tiresome but i put them in place empty then simply fill them and leave them.

Depending on what you are making the cleaning and sterilisation is not a hassle at all. Your first still run will be a sacrificial run. Keep the stuff that comes off it and this can be used multiple times for cleaning still. Copper is soaked in a bucket with citric acid then rinsed with fresh water.
If fermenter is dirty you can give it a scrub otherwise u can use napisan to sterilise the fermenters between washes.

If u are doing generation washes then u actually dont need to clean or sterilise the fermenters. The funk is what you are trying to capture for flavour.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby The Stig » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:39 am

Welcome NFI, since this was your first post I moved it here to the welcome center.
Could you elaborate on your main issues ? If we know a little more it will make it easier to help you out :handgestures-thumbupleft:
None of us are getting younger (other than Big Rig apparently) and I personally am always looking for easier ways of moving things etc.
Enjoy the ride
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Nathan02 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 am

This post has come at a crazy time. Yesterday I was moving a bucket with 20l of mollases wash in it. Completely tore the bicep and tendon from the bone. Surgery Friday. Please be careful moving heavier items guys
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby scythe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am

Nathan02:
Ouch.

NFI:
As has been stated, sterilisation isn't such an issue for distilling as it is for brewing, it all get boiled before you drink it.
Gravity is cheaper than a pump, so if you can set he fermenter up higher than your boiler you can just siphon the wash in to the boiler.

As Sam said, tell us more about your limitations and we can suggest solutions.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Wellsy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 pm

Welcome NFI
Perhaps also mention what equipment you are hoping to get, and what you are hoping to produce so we understand better what you will need to do. Try and be specific without sharing anything more than you want to.
Heavy things is all relative, once upon a time 30 kilos was not heavy now a days 15 is heavy. Is mobility an issue, can you reach and still have strength. Once we have an idea of your abilities many here will offer some clever work around if needed.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:54 pm

Welcome mate :greetings-waveyellow:
I have seen one setup where they used a electric hoist winch on a overhead gantry
Putting stuff on wheels goes a long way on a flat floor

Why is there no forklift add on for mobility scooters?

Nathan02 wrote:This post has come at a crazy time. Yesterday I was moving a bucket with 20l of mollases wash in it. Completely tore the bicep and tendon from the bone. Surgery Friday. Please be careful moving heavier items guys

Thats scary mate, you would have to be the fittest looking distiller I know - there's easier ways to get time off work?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Carol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Hi NFI
I am literally a little old lady. 66 years old and less than 5 foot and shrinking by the year. I have a 2 " FSD boka and pot. I have worked out a system to run my still fairly easily. I use low tech methods like jugs and small buckets to transfer liquids and a step stool to reach the top of the boka to plug the hoses in. If as the Stig suggested you could explain more about the nature of the problem we may be able to suggest solutions.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby bluc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 pm

Hose for water, pump to move fermented liquids and empty boiler(get a bottom draining boiler) stick to 60l ferments you will end up with 5ish L yeast crud in bottom of fermenter to flush out with a hose, if doing sour mash like bwko you only have to do it ever 5 or more gens put fermenter on wheels.Lots people in grain mashing use hoist or pulleys to lift grain. Lots ways to make life easier

I started out carrying all my water and waste but now pump everything.

Nathan02 that sux majorly...
Last edited by bluc on Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Professor Green » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Welcome NFI

As others have suggested, a little bit more on what you are able to do would very helpful so we can make useful suggestions. You've said lifting and shifting is out for you, are you also restricted with movement? For example, can you bend to reach down low, can you reach up above your head?

Also tell us what kind of spirits you would like to make - different spirits require different equipment so if we know what you're looking to achieve we can offer up appropriate options.

I use a magnetic drive pump to move liquids from vessel to vessel. It works a treat. I have a large fermenter (250l) and a large boiler (100l) so lifting and shifting when full is not really an option. Gravity does work but depending on the size of your fermenter/s (and your abilities) that may not be practical.

For cleaning, I simply rinse out the fermenter and give it a bit of a scrub with a long handled soft brush and I pop some hot soapy water into the boiler and give it a bit of a run around with a sponge followed by a jolly good rinse. Nothing too onerous!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby NFI » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 am

Thank you all for your input, I thought I had posted a reply already but seemingly not - but that's Ok.
A number of you have asked that I elaborate on my physical issues, I walk with a stick, 10Kg is on the heavy side, not a great deal of strength reaching out, bending down low has to be limited/avoided,
lifting from down low is out, I can reach overhead if very little weight (1 or 2 Kg maybe).
It seems that with a little ingenuity I should not have too much trouble.
I currently have an open mind as to what kind of still/equipment I am best to run with, all suggestions with reasoning are welcome, I still have a lot of reading to do.
For my own purposes (the reason I started looking at distilling myself) I was after a high (>75% ABV) neutral spirit. In the retail side something along the lines of Bacardi 151(75.5%) or Polmos Spirytus Rektyfikowany (Rectified Spirit 95%) for use as an extraction fluid to create absolutes. I don't think you can get 151 any more and the the polish spirit is $75+ for 500mls. So the cost would quickly add up to the cost of a still is the way I was thinking but I don't know what the input cost (over and above the cost of the still) would be to produce a given volume of high ABV spirit is but I would hope it is a lot less than $150/L.
The bonus would be the ability to produce more palatable runs maybe a bit of scotch or rum would be nice and I don't mind a drop of vodka. If it works well maybe I can hock some off to friends to recoup some of the outlay (should they feel like making a donation).
I bet a lot of people have thought that at the get go, but whether it actually eventuates only time will tell - it is a good selling point for my better half.
The more I read and think on it the more I believe it would be a great hobby to get into. I am sure to begin with I might try using essences but I would hope not to in the long run.
BTW, this is the first forum I have taken part in so I am likely to stuff things up from time to time.

Thanks again for all of your response. Cheers!
NFI
Site Donor

Postby Carol » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 am

Hi NFI have a look at the thread about my FSD 2" boka and pot in reflux stills. That has quite a few photos so it might help you get an idea of size etc. The boka produces high qulality neutral at 95%.
Cheers Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby bluc » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:42 pm

With molasses for barcardi type spirit way under $150 more like $8 2l @65%... Using feed grade molasses..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:01 pm

It looks more likely that Aunty Carols setup would suit .
Boiler in the floor , collect on the bench top
Start with TPW or Weet Bix to start then into whiskeys etc via the pot head
It’s all small enough to work around and will produce plenty .
Oh and we don’t condone, encourage or even talk about selling , just sayin :naughty: :snooty:
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby NFI » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:26 pm

Carol wrote:Hi NFI have a look at the thread about my FSD 2" boka and pot in reflux stills. That has quite a few photos so it might help you get an idea of size etc. The boka produces high qulality neutral at 95%.
Cheers Carol

Thanks Carol, I had started reading that post and thought it looked promising.

bluc - That sounds a whole lot better

The Stig - thanks for your input and the heads up. All good.
NFI
Site Donor

Postby Professor Green » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:01 pm

The Stig wrote:It looks more likely that Aunty Carols setup would suit .
Boiler in the floor , collect on the bench top
Start with TPW or Weet Bix to start then into whiskeys etc via the pot head
It’s all small enough to work around and will produce plenty .
Oh and we don’t condone, encourage or even talk about selling , just sayin :naughty: :snooty:

:text-+1:

With the boiler on the floor you could have a fermenter or two nearby raised enough to gravity drain them into the boiler. They'd then be at a nice height for cleaning and prepping.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:22 pm

The 25L boilers are actually small enough to sit on one of those $12 Bunnings dolly’s so it could roll around easy for cleaning and emptying etc
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Return to Welcome Centre