Build or buy

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Build or buy

Postby Bedlore » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:28 am

Hi all,

Been a whisky guy I believe I need to aim for a pot still and not a column. Given this would is there benefit from building yourself or are the results just as good from a cheap off the shelf unit. I've been looking at the https://www.kegland.com.au/65l-alcoengi ... undle.html for $500. I doubt I would be saving money from a DIY would I?

Thanks guys
Bedlore

equipment: Nil Nudda Nothing... yet

Re: Build or buy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 am

I paid extra for quality and future upgradability and would do the same again in a heart beat, having seen first hand how flimsy the cheaper stuff is. The lids warp and twist with a minimal amount of weight on top so that the condenser needs to be supported.

I do not have the ability to build myself so did not have that option.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Dude » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:38 pm

My preference is to build where possible and I take that as an integral part of the hobby. It helps if you have access to a kitted out workshop (welders etc) yours or someone elses but not essential.
Dude

equipment: Turbo 500. 50L pot still with 2 x 2400W heaters, shotgun condenser, reflux condenser. Building a cooling system.

Postby Bedlore » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Dude wrote:My preference is to build where possible and I take that as an integral part of the hobby.

Yeh right, I'm not opposed for sure, I'm just a little time poor currently. What DIY pot still build is currently the leading design in the accessible skill level category where I would rank as beginner to intermediate.
Bedlore

Postby Bedlore » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:45 pm

Wellsy wrote:I paid extra for quality and future upgradability and would do the same again in a heart beat,

So what did you actually purchase and from where Wellsy?
Bedlore

Postby Wellsy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:11 am

I went with the five star 50 litre boiler and 4 inch pot still so I can upgrade later when the finances can justify it.

Having said that it is going to be hard to justify as it producing great product and doing everything I ask of it.

I added a turbo boiler so I had a concealed element to do smaller runs of experiments and could not believe how light weight the construction was. It works perfectly fine but the 2 products are chalk and cheese

Hit the 5 star distillery link on the page and have a look at some of the options, give Andrew a call and he will happily give you options without pressure or commitment being needed. The stuff sells itself he does not need to push.

It will also give you an idea what sort of budget you need so that you may decide it is worth building one yourself. Or you could do what many do and go with a combination of purchased gear and some home made options.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby scythe » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:22 pm

For a 2" still you can make one cheaper than buying one, it's the boiler that gets you.
$400 is about what it will cost for a boiler, if you already have all the tooling you need.
Seriously consider buying unless you love to build.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Lesgold » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm

I’ll put in my two bobs worth. If you have time and a passion for building challenges, it’s a no brainer. In your situation, I’d be looking at your resources, available time and skill level. Just for reference, I built a 2” pot still and a 50l boiler with two x 2400w elements for under $300. The ability to scrounge, research and take time helps if you want to keep costs down.
Lesgold

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux and pot. 2” modular CCVM/ 1150mm column, 50l boiler with 2x 2400w elements.

Postby yorkie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:53 pm

I would love to build but am struggling to find 2" copper in Adelaide.. any suggestions for parts?.. (doesn't have to be copper)
yorkie

equipment: Newbie looking at starting up

Postby Permaclutter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:29 am

Denron Metals at Thebarton have been very good for me. Maybe leave it a bit for the dust to settle after their nasty incident recently.
Permaclutter

equipment: 80l horizontal keg, 3" x1300mm ss packed column Block head CM with gin basket

Postby yorkie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:22 pm

I'll head down there early then thanks.... :text-lol:
yorkie

equipment: Newbie looking at starting up

Postby hjubm2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am

If that fails I got my 2" from Tradelink. They will sell it by the metre. Wasn't the cheapest place but was the easiest at the time.
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Return to Welcome Centre