New member intro

Say Hi and introduce yourself

New member intro

Postby Worthog » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while, and found lots of good info so thought I should join to get the most out of the wealth of experience here.
I'm currently just beginning in the art of home brew and distilling, apart from a crack at ginger beer many decades ago!

So far, I've done my first sugar wash, and run twice through T500 (Yes I Know, don't say it). I got one really good litre of vodka, and a couple of litres with a bit of a yeasty flavour - I think I may have not cut the tails soon enough, but you live and learn.

Made a batch of apple cider after that - mainly because with a decent vodka and some apple cider, the wife and daughters can be won over!

Ultimately, as the name suggests, I plan to try out some all grain stuff, including some all grain vodka, gin, and eventually Whiskey Keeping my eyes open for a reasonably priced 20L barrel for aging. ... oh and I might throw a rum run in there somewhere.

I know its all a bit ambitious, and at first a bit daunting, but baby steps to begin. I expect it may be a few years getting far with most of those plans.

I've just put on my second sugar wash, and I think I will add the second half of the first batch (with the yeasty flavour) back into the spirit run of this batch and see if I can cut it better.

I've also got the Still Spirits Alembic dome, but they are waiting for the condenser to come back into stock. Looking around for if I may be best to build my own pot condenser to go on the dome. There is more material on the site than I have time to digest it at the moment, so working through it as I can.

It's great to share in the experience of others, and if the first bottle of Vodka is anything to go by, share a good drop also!

Thanks Guys
Worthog
Worthog

equipment: T500 copper reflux

Re: New member intro

Postby The Stig » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:03 pm

Welcome aboard :greetings-waveyellow:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:12 pm

Welcome aboard worthog.

If you are ever looking to upgrade 5 star have some fabulous gear, and you don’t have to buy it all at once so the missus will not object, well not too much. Excellent plan on making her and the daughters happy mate.
I can also recommend the WBAB for vodka, I triple distill mine through the pot still and I am getting many surprised reactions.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Worthog » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm

Wellsy wrote:Welcome aboard worthog.

If you are ever looking to upgrade 5 star have some fabulous gear, and you don’t have to buy it all at once so the missus will not object, well not too much. Excellent plan on making her and the daughters happy mate.
I can also recommend the WBAB for vodka, I triple distill mine through the pot still and I am getting many surprised reactions.

Pleasant surprise I hope!
Worthog

Postby Wellsy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm

Absolutely mate
My nephew said “I don’t want that much” then drained the glass after the initial taste lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Worthog » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:04 am

Yes, I had a similar experience with positive feedback last night to my first batch of cider. My first Vodka is coming out over the weekend for a "Happy" Easter - hoping for similar positive response from family to support my further progress in the craft.
Last edited by Worthog on Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worthog

Postby BigRig » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm

Welcome to this helpful informative forum.

Nothing like making a nice drop which gets rave reviews from friends and family.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Welcome Worthog.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby BWS » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 pm

Welcome aboard, I too have just started out with a still spirits boiler making a neutral spirt while waiting to collect my Alembic dome and condenser. All the best and will be waiting to hear how journey transforms :happy-partydance:
BWS

equipment: Reflux still, looking to get a pot still for full flavour.

Return to Welcome Centre