Returning Newbie

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Returning Newbie

Postby CarlF » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:55 pm

Stripping run No.1 (gradual yes but good things take time) 21 litre wash done and collected approximately 4 litres at 52% ABV. Might do another 2-3 more 21 litre washes and strip those to get a nice little stockpile (16-20 litres) started then give em a spirit run in my as yet untried reflux and brand new digiboil 35 litre boiler and use the first run of coolant to fill my new water barrels from the tap to see water flow run :happy-partydance:.

Any advice from the brains trust with regards to how much ABV I should run and how much in quantity to use in a 35 litre boiler for the spirit run is appreciated as I have yet to venture into the world of high octane beverage production.

Regards CarlF
CarlF

equipment: Airstill x 2

Postby howard » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:42 am

40% is usually the accepted highest abv for runs.
calculator here for 'dilution calculator'
http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/xcalcs.html

bearing in mind that different washes tend to foam and puke more than others, i think a sugar wash is about 2/3 boiler capacity.
have you got a power controller on the digiboil?
not sure how a digiboil/alcoengine combo operates, but most rigs benefit from some method to control the power.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby CarlF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:23 pm

Cheers Howard I'll dilute all down to the suggested ABV for the spirit run as directed. As I mentioned earlier I'm gonna do a few more washes to get the volume required to make the run viable.
Many thanks to all for the advice.
CarlF

Postby CarlF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:37 pm

Also Howard yeah the digiboil has a temp control built in not sure about the accuracy yet.
CarlF

Postby howard » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 pm

CarlF wrote:Also Howard yeah the digiboil has a temp control built in not sure about the accuracy yet.

i'm afraid the built-in temp control is very difficult, if not impossible to use when distilling, especially in reflux runs.
you have no control over the boiling temp of the charge, it's one of the things i had difficulty getting my head around in the beginning. :wtf:
you really need to be able to adjust the voltage to the boilers elements to achieve a good rolling boil, which in turn affects the vapour volume/speed.
most guys have a voltage controller attached across the power supply to their elements.
the PID in the boiler will cycle the elements on/off and disrupt the boil.
andrew in the '5 star store' on this site has them for sale.(it's down at the moment)
i don't know if you can connect a voltage controller directly to the digiboil, i had to wire mine in underneath the brewzilla.
you thought this was going to be easy? :smile:
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby howard » Sat May 01, 2021 5:44 pm

CarlF wrote:Also Howard yeah the digiboil has a temp control built in not sure about the accuracy yet.

this the gear i was referring to
https://5stardistilling.com/?s=controller
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby The Stig » Sat May 01, 2021 5:51 pm

The 5Star site is down at the moment sorry
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby CarlF » Sun May 02, 2021 12:16 am

Gotta luv a challenge. :angry-banghead:
CarlF

Postby CarlF » Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm

Just spoke to the brewing shop bloke he said as I have the 35litre digiboil I should be fine as they’ve never heard of any of them requiring a controller in addition to what they are already set up with.
CarlF

Postby howard » Mon May 03, 2021 7:17 pm

CarlF wrote:Just spoke to the brewing shop bloke he said as I have the 35litre digiboil I should be fine as they’ve never heard of any of them requiring a controller in addition to what they are already set up with.

hmmm with a digiboil you have just 3 power settings, 500w, 1900w and 2400w.
i usually use anywhere between 1200-1700w for reflux runs, and for my gear, the power controller is critical to producing good product.
i have the same elements, i tried it without a controller, it doesn't work well, unless you want inferior product.
i ended up having to modify the wiring in mine to install a controller on the 1900w element, best thing i ever did.
Last edited by howard on Mon May 03, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby CarlF » Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Ok cheers Howard I'll get one (a power controller that is) and run it in the circuit just to maintain better control and be a happy camper first time around.
Cheers again for all the input buddy much appreciated.
CarlF

Postby howard » Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 am

no worries.
there's a bit of of info around from myself and others.
apparently this is a pic of a digiboil wiring, i've put a red arrow where the 2 x blue wires go to the elements under the insulation.
there is a common link that has to be removed from the ends of the elements.
digiboil with arrow.png

i wired mine to a changeover switch so i can use the PID or the controller.
the controller then sits on my brewing table where i can easily fiddle with it.
brewzilla rewire 2.jpg

i have more info if you decide to go down this path, not forgetting to get everything checked or installed by a sparky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby CarlF » Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm

Cheers Howard I ended up getting one (power regulator) from a big brewing equipment distribution mob here in Perth. Just a plug and play one for $50 and the bloke that sold it to me is using the same gear as me 35litre digiboil and all so that was good enough for me at this stage. He took me to their showroom and I nearly evacuated my bowels at what was up there :shock: . One day I’ll get some grown up gear but for now it’s time to forge onward. I put 2 washes down using the same stuff and only one is working, I stirred it again and put a little more citric and yeast in it but to no avail. I’m gonna put the alcometer and hydrometer in it and see if it has in fact produced anything before I decide to chuck it out ya never know aye.
All the best guys.
CarlF

By the way if is at all possible that anyone could give me a few tips on the voltages I should encourage at various times during the spirit run I would be happy to listen intently.
CarlF

Postby howard » Fri May 07, 2021 11:54 pm

was the place you got the power controller the same place that said you didn't need one? :smile:
anyway, what are the washes you have started?
have you got a PH tester, you can't just throw citric acid in stalled wash, it will lower the PH and low PH might be your problem.

voltages for the controller will be different for your rig and for different runs (reflux/strip)
on reflux, i adjust the voltage until i get i drip drip dribble output, but i'm not sure how your rig works.
it may take a few runs until you get used to everything, meantime, you can always throw everything back into the boiler and re-run.
the fun is just starting ;-)

edit i didn't think that power controllers worked 'plug and play' with the PID electronics in the boiler.
Last edited by howard on Fri May 07, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby CarlF » Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm

Gidday Howard
The controller I purchased came from a different supplier than the one that said they'd never heard of anyone using one with my particular boiler.
As for the washes I've gone down the path that I'm familiar with and done TPW washes for this lot, both done exactly the same at the same time, but in my haste I actually neglected to add citric acid to either of the washes so I didn't add any to the wash that is working so I'm a bit perplexed as to what is going on. I actually do posses a PH tester as well.
I need to slow things down a little and pay more attention to what I'm doing and get some semblance of control in my methods. I'll play with the voltage controller and try and achieve the "drip drip dribble" output happening as suggested, and yes I do think it will take a few runs to fine tune to get the results I desire but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say.
Maybe I think keeping a notebook about things I do and the quantities etc might be the go as the old memory aint what it used to be. well as you say the fun is just beginning.
many thanks again fellas.
CarlF

Postby howard » Sun May 09, 2021 1:18 am

keep notes, plenty of notes.
they will be be your reference guide and, down the track, be a source of personal
amusement. :smile:
have you wired the voltage controller into the boiler?
so has one of your washes stalled?
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby CarlF » Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Gidday matey
Yeah the power controller is plugged into the wall socket and the boiler is plugged into it, so essentially its an inline control item I guess. I need to figure out how to put photos on here (I think there's a post about how to somewhere on here).
Notes containing times, dates, quantities, brands and measurements will be a thing of the future for sure. No more haphazard she'll be right from this bad boy, its time to get serious.
Yeah one of the two washes has stalled for sure and the second one has slowed so I think almost ready to distill, in saying that I'm gonna test both washes for alcohol volume pre distillation to deem if the allegedly stalled wash deserves distilling. My gut feeling is telling me that my fermenter No.2 may require a new sealing ring on the lid therefore negating the bubbling airlock. In your opinion Howard what is the easiest and most productive wash that you've had success with of late, I'm keen to try and spread my wings a little.
Anyway I must away and check my brew etc.
CarlF

Postby howard » Sun May 09, 2021 4:05 pm

i would ask in the digiboil community whether the power controller is ok inline with the boiler.
the PID on the 240v digiboil has some electronics onboard.

did you take any SG readings at the start of fermentation?
does it taste dry, or do you know it's SG now?

my favourite is the FFV (in the 'Tried & Proven' section), but that and the TPW are pretty bullet proof.
i don't have a most productive wash, but i try to keep my washes at about 8 - 10% abv for quality (hopefully) over quantity.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby CarlF » Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 pm

I'll check out the digiboil community as you suggest Howard (nice heads up by the way) and enquire about the power controller and if there's anything I should know about it.
As for SG readings at the start of the ferment, alas no I didn't which is why I'll be taking notes in future to formulate some sort of systematic equation in future ferments and as for it providing future entertainment I can only concur with ya there. hahahaha

I think its about time I stepped up my game and took it all a bit more seriously and paid more attention to what I'm doing and approach it all a bit more scientifically.

I'm thinking the next washes are gonna have to be a TPW alongside a FFV if for nothing else but to start a brief comparison and see what could possibly suit me best at any particular time.

I'm open to suggestions but bear in mind I'm but a babe in the woods at this stage) although hungry to learn (the pace may not be frenetic but nonetheless eager)
CarlF

Postby howard » Mon May 10, 2021 12:34 am

i think a finished TPW should be around the 1.000 - 0.990 range.
i f you try the FFV all the ingredients are in the supermarket, like lowans yeast.
a few people use this wheat bran from woolies, in the cereal aisle............
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome Centre