Hi All

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hi All

Postby Pongo » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 am

New to all this and have been reading the forums to get as much info as I can. I cant believe how much good advice this forum provides. Ran my first wash (SS classic yeast + 6kg sugar, turbo carbon, turbo clear as suppied in the T500 kit) quite a smelly ferment. Still worked great except for a small leak at the coolant input (plastic standoff) against the column. Swpped by HBS straight away for new column. Ran it at 53-55 degrees output temperature and dropped about 200m of heads. approx 3L output, haven't measured the ABV yet, however smells and tastes quite neutral. Intend to rerun with another batch and redistill then filter or should I filter and then redistill. What max %ABV should I be putting in the boiler for redistill.Now fermenting two 25L TPW which been going since last night sitting nicely at 30 degrees. What a difference in the ferment smell. Its my intention to process the first turbo wash and the TPW in exactly the same manner for a comparison. Thanks for all the great tips, hints and advice. Have many more questions.

Pongo
Pongo

equipment: T500 Still

Re: Hi All

Postby bt1 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:11 am

Welcome bloke,

A lot of ppl go through the turbo phase but near all settle on a tried and tested recipe eventually. You've made that step nice!
Once you've done the TPW you'll be able to smell/taste the turbo for what it is...I'd be surprised if you keep it realistically.

Best to get another opinion on wash % for second run (I single run only) but from reading at 40% it's dangerous most are below the 20% mark but please check this.

Let us know your targeted drinks and we can help with brew selection, tips etc.

enjoy!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 18, 2012 8:36 am

hi Pongo, welcome to the forum mate.
I re run all my low wines at 40% :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby SBB » Fri May 18, 2012 10:14 am

As Kimbo has said 40% is ok..............anything above that is not.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Frank » Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 am

Hello Pongo and welcome to you...
as mentioned above, just ask and ye shall be told (in fact, you might even be 'told' BEFORE you ask) :laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby crow » Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 am

g'day Pongo I've never tried those turbo yeasts but I keep hearing discouraging things about them . Its a great learning curve here Welcome you'll improve out of sight from the advise here mate
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Cane Toad » Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Welcome Pongo :handgestures-thumbupleft: Every thing has been said,just enjoy the experience and have fun :handgestures-thumbupleft: the learning curve is half the fun,drinking the learning curve s the other half :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Return to Welcome Centre