First time stiller

Say Hi and introduce yourself

First time stiller

Postby indenial » Mon May 03, 2021 10:51 am

Hi all,
Been lurking for a few weeks learning as much as I can. Big thanks to all who have contributed to this huge knowledge base.

Bought a used still spirits super reflux head with 25l boiler - knowing it wasn't really what I'd want long term, but just wanted to get started at minimum cost.
Ran my first TPW wash yesterday... mostly successfully. I was taking 200ml cuts. First jar was 70% abv. By the time I got to the 4th jar, I was up over 90% and in a lot more control of my still!
I imagine I have smeared the heads across those first few jars by running too fast initially. I've made a good start to my feints collection :))

My main interest is rum and whiskey, so pot still planning has now commenced.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Re: First time stiller

Postby Professor Green » Mon May 03, 2021 1:58 pm

Welcome to AD indenial.

Are you looking to buy off-the-shelf or go DIY for your pot still? If you browse through the pot still section of the forum you should find plenty of info to inspire you.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Wellsy » Mon May 03, 2021 3:52 pm

Welcome indenial
There is nothing like that first run to get both the heart racing and the smile going.
I will never forget the thrill of those first few drips, like many here I am guessing the first time you saw a still operating was when you were in control of it lol.
Just take your time mate an ask questions, you have already learnt a heap from just that first run
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Doubleuj » Wed May 05, 2021 8:58 pm

Gday indenial, looking forward to seeing pics of your pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The saying around here is “without pics it never happened” :teasing-tease:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby indenial » Fri May 07, 2021 1:54 am

Thanks for the welcome. Yeah, I'll attempt to build myself. I'll be learning by doing, same as the stilling, so it may not be pretty. Don't worry, the pics will follow.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Return to Welcome Centre