Say Hi and introduce yourself

Postby Kashie » Wed May 19, 2021 10:15 pm

Evening all. New bloke from sa in the forum and to the world of distilling. Brewed plenty of beer and still continue to do so. Been reading constantly and trying to learn as much as possible before I start asking the silly questions. I'm looking at building a still as soon as I can get my hands on some copper pipe. Look forward to learning alot more from the years of experience in this forum. Cheers
Kashie

equipment: Don't have any equipment completely new to this but am very keen to learn as much as possible and to hopefully have a setup that will make some good product.

Re: Newbie

Postby Wellsy » Thu May 20, 2021 5:52 am

Welcome Kashie
Lots of builders on here to steer you in the right direction.
Only silly questions mate are the ones you ask after you have already done the thing you wanted the answer for :)
Ask away as it may save you a lot of frustration and dollars by helping you avoid mistakes others have made.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Sam. » Thu May 20, 2021 12:17 pm

Welcome here mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What sort of spirits are you planning on making? This will help you decide what sort of still you should build.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Professor Green » Thu May 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Welcome Kashie.

There's definitely lots of build pictures and threads floating around the forums to inspire you.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Sam. » Thu May 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Professor Green wrote:There's definitely lots of build pictures and threads floating around the forums to inspire you.

Might even be a couple of building stills as well :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kashie » Sun May 23, 2021 10:56 am

To start with id just like to have a crack at asugar washe and amaybe tpw. Get some neutral happening for some essence just to get a feel for it but eventually would like to do some all grain washes for some good whisky and bourbons. Was thinking of building a pot still design with a liebig style condenser well the water jacket design 1 inch pipe outer jacket 1/2 inch inner piper. Not sure if this will be sufficient or not. My biggest problem is sourcing copper pipe so maybe looking at building with stainless pipe. Im out in the sticks and no recycling joints or scrap metal dealers out here. And Reece want $130 a metre for 2 inch pipe which seems a bit excessive. I have all the shit in my head just need to put it I to practice and see if I can pull this off. I'm keen to learn as much as possible and yeah my terms are probably incorrect but what a lack in lingo I make up for in enthusiasm.
Kashie

equipment: Don't have any equipment completely new to this but am very keen to learn as much as possible and to hopefully have a setup that will make some good product.

Postby iOnaBender » Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 am

Welcome Kashie
iOnaBender
Site Donor

equipment: FSD 4" Mac 5 SSG
125ltr NANO Pro boiler
FSD 2" Pot Still
75ltr Insulated Mash Tun
95ltr HLT

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 23, 2021 4:05 pm

Just take your time mate. Do your research as well, there are many still builders here , I am definitely not one of them lol, but I seem to remember a few of them saying it can be cheaper to buy a boiler than pay someone to build it. Only reason I say that is if you are buying new materials it may be cheaper to buy one.
You should also be warned the minute you get something you will want more and more lol.
Have fun
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun May 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Welcome Kashie to the forum mate and in 3 more posts from you we can PM so get posting mate and we will get you sorted
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Sun May 23, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Kashie » Sun May 23, 2021 6:46 pm

I'm literally at the point where I'm just posting crap now to get the q0 posts.... I'm going to use a beer keg as a boiler with a electric element in the bottom couple inches from the bottom. Would it be better to use1 element at say 3000 watt or use 2 smaller ones to be able to control the heat better. Ive brought a pid heat controller contraption but now I've seen these volt controllers which seem to be a good thing too. I know I could buy a pre made still from kegland or one of 5000 other places but like the idea of building it myself. The kegs are costing me nothing and most other things are reasonably cheap to buy.
Kashie

Postby Wellsy » Sun May 23, 2021 8:41 pm

That’s fine kashie, just making sure mate. It would not be the first time some one has paid more than new. The boiler seems to be the most complicated

By the way congrats on being able to PM
Wellsy

Return to Welcome Centre