G'day Everyone

Say Hi and introduce yourself

G'day Everyone

Postby 70YNU » Sun May 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Hi All.
Recently picked myself up a Pure Distilling Home spirit maker just like this one

Have my first Turbo wash down at the moment, a simple 8KG CSR sucrose, SS Turbo Classic and SS Turbo Carbon.

Cheers

Brad
70YNU

equipment: Pure Distilling Home Spirit Maker

Re: G'day Everyone

Postby MacStill » Sun May 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Welcome Brad,

Apparently the'yre not a bad rig to get you on your way for a HBS unit, you'll certainly get some decent drinking stock from it ;-)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Sun May 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi 70,
welcome to the forum mate. what are you hoping to make?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun May 20, 2012 3:15 pm

G'day Brad,

I have the same rig as you.

I find it runs well so long as I just barely crack open the ball valve when running so the distillate comes out slowly.

I aim to take off about 200ml every 15 minutes of so and no faster.

If your new to this distilling world ( like me !!! :-D ) I recommend having a go at the Tomato Paste Wash ( TPW ) or the ( DWWG ) Deathwish Wheat Germ wash, both are an alternative to turbo yeast that will give you a great product at a lesser cost.

Recipes for both of these are on this page - http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewforum.php?f=32

Also, the book that comes with the still talks about heads and hearts only as I recall. If you want to get a better neutral you can split your run into Foreshots/Heads/Hearts/Tails, there is a great tutorial on running this way here.

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874&p=9951&hilit=kiwistiller#p9951

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby crow » Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi Brad Welcome I got the same , they're an awesome little still . They'er not fast but you should get neutral spirit at 95.5 consistently and from what I've read that makes them about the very best of the HBS stills , no plastic or other bullshit that can go wrong with them . The only winge I have is the take off tap is petty hard to regulate , down the track you might want to look at an ss needle valve (I am) . So what state are you from and what are you hoping to make with it
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Linno » Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Gday brad

Welcome mate, I have recently bought the same and done 7 runs through mine with the same SS yeast and carbon. get about 3.9lts at 95% and it sits at 78.7 degrees every time - super reliable, should make it fun for you.

appently its best to give em a clean after each run. Happy distillin.

Cheers
Linno
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon May 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Got the same rig, loving the consistent results and the ease of use.

Eventually I want a pot still or at least a pot still head for mine but for now I'm doing my flavouring 'post' distill in a high quality 95%+ neutral.

I love the Hobo's Apple Pie, McStill's Kahlua and these Schnapps recipes too: http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/cherry.html

Great use of your high quality neutral :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I linked to the Cherry one - I am ageing 4L of that at the moment and it just gets better every week I taste it...Be damned lucky if it makes it to a month or two of ageing :))

But DUMP the turbo - go the Tomato Paste Wash. Cheaper, better product and did I mention cheaper? You can do 2-3 TPW runs for the cost 1 run based on the ingredients you are using from the HBS.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Frank » Mon May 21, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi 70YNU
there really no such thing as a bad still (its just some are better than others) and it sounds like your choice is 'used and recommended' on this forum, so good for you....you might like to consider some of the alternatives to HBS ingredients down the track as they will save $ and produce good results (sometimes better)...meanwhile enjoy and learn and tell us how you go please...
Frank

Postby bt1 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Welcome Brad,

be interested to here what your intending to make..there's a decent recipe for most all here somewhere.

save your $ and give the turbos the flick and give your taste buds a better karma.

wow read the off take 800ml/hr I'd die of fatigue at that rate...but guess if you have all the chickens you can countem as often as you like.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Mon May 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Frank wrote:there really no such thing as a bad still (its just some are better than others)

Never truer words spoken Frank........to say the least I was "astonished" to see how tasty a product you have achieved using an airstill' :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: (a good tradesman never blames his tools)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby 70YNU » Mon May 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
I will defintely try a TPW in future. I really need another fermenter (or 2) as I do HB beer with a kegorator setup and lagers at 12deg are slowing down free time in my 2 fermenters.
Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions on the still as well. Will definately take it all onboard.

At this stage I'm just trying to get my bar stocked up with the essentials.
First batch will be split into:
TS Vodka,TS Red rum, Classic Tennessee Whiskey, and a random brand JW spin off.
I've also got a American Honey receipe to try that is a Wild Turkey essence, 2 bags type a liquer mix and some glucose.

Also have a stash of SS and SU JD oak chips that i want to age alot of my own "private small batch" in.
70YNU

Postby scarecrow » Tue May 22, 2012 1:21 pm

70YNU wrote:Recently picked myself up a Pure Distilling Home spirit maker just like this one........Have my first Turbo wash down at the moment

That's OK. We have members do weirder things than that and we still let them post :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

JK. Welcome and be safe.

scarecrow
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Postby Cane Toad » Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Who's calling me weird? :teasing-tease:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby audistiller » Tue May 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Brad, I'm sure you will have some good times with this crowd, welcome.

Cupcake wrote:Who's calling me weird? :teasing-tease:

Anyone that has a vagina as their avatar could be classed as weird, but I suppose it could be worse.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Frank » Tue May 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Brad, contrary to some observations....its a little, funny shaped cake mate ;-)

:roll:
Frank

Postby crow » Tue May 22, 2012 6:22 pm

audistiller wrote:Hi Brad, I'm sure you will have some good times with this crowd, welcome.

Cupcake wrote:Who's calling me weird? :teasing-tease:

Anyone that has a vagina as their avatar could be classed as weird, but I suppose it could be worse.

Ya got bent mind Aud :doh: its a christening cake can't you see the little babe wrapped in swaddling coth
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Brendan » Tue May 22, 2012 11:25 pm

G'Day Brad, ad welcome to the forum. You'll learn lots of stuff from the guys on here, what to run and how to run it.

I like "Rad's All Bran" personally...

Have fun mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby R-sole » Wed May 23, 2012 5:34 am

I thought it was a little man in a boat being expressed as a cake?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby 70YNU » Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 pm

scarecrow wrote:
70YNU wrote:Recently picked myself up a Pure Distilling Home spirit maker just like this one........Have my first Turbo wash down at the moment

That's OK. We have members do weirder things than that and we still let them post :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I probably should have mentioned that it cost me nothing ;)
70YNU

Return to Welcome Centre