Newbie from WA

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Newbie from WA

Postby spudie » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:16 pm

Hi to you all, me I'm an old bugger who has retired, love a tipple or two and found this Forum some months ago.
Up unto recently I was just a reader, now I have access to a T500 (was so cheap, couldn't let it pass).
Have been doing the true newbie stuff, using all the HBS products. Results where at first like the new born son syndrome where because you made it has to be perfect. After domestic control informed that there was a terrible taste in her Gin and she wont drink anymore of my shite unless I up the game.
I've improved my "still skills" some what and product now just sneaks in the back door to the drinks cabinet.
So for me now I'm bitten, smitten and dedicated to improve what I'm doing with what I have.
Still just making spirits, filtering and flavouring with HBS stuff but its wearing thin........

Before I move onto the next stage I'd like to drive the T500 to the brink and get as much out of her as I can.
Have been reading lots and happy to take advise from experts here as there is no replacement for experience.

Apologise in advance for any lame questions that I may post in future, now its normal but hey we all have to learn dont we.

Great Forum, looking forward to experiencing some great thing in the future.
Spudie WA
spudie

equipment: T500 only as yet

Re: Newbie from WA

Postby howard » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 am

your brownie points are going to explode. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
read how to do a FFV or TPW to get a decent neutral.
start off with the basic Odins gin.
onwards and upwards.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:20 am

Welcome Spudie
Great idea to get what you can out of the T500, you will learn heaps that way and really get an idea of what you want to produce. When you are ready to find out some more options, or even get a pot version for your existing set up give Andrew a call you won’t get any pressure just honest advice and alternatives. We all rave about his service for a reason.
In the mean time have a look at the newbie section as there is a great thread on running the T500 and another on making cuts that are worth a read a few times.
Remember we all started at the beginning, some of us are still there lol, so read and ask questions. Post your results, good and bad, as lots of other newbies like to see how people get on when first starting out.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby spudie » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Many thanks for the responses, I have set my change over to either FFV or TPW by the start of summer.
Have a few things I needs to get rid of some already purchased HBS shite.

A question on Odin's Gin, is it that good that it would pass the back door step for someone that has only ever drunk SBS.
Happy to gain the experience with making the recipe but I have a feeling that I'm going to have some withdrawal moments with the small amounts of product.
rgds Spudie
spudie

Postby Wellsy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:43 pm

I am not a gin drinker but I have given it to Gin drinkers who love it.

It better than store bought, I assume it is better than cheap store bought.

I had one batch that turned out funky, but the angels fixed the issue as it was funky because I left copper out of the vapour path and the sulphurs needed to dissipate.

Do it right and distil it slow and you will definitely be doing it again.
Last edited by Wellsy on Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby warramungas » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:28 pm

Welcome mate.
Yep. Odins gin is good and easy. Better if you can put the botanicals in the vapor path though.
I used two basket loads on a previous run. One each for around 2 liters of 80-90% product.
But that could just be me as I like my gin fresh, sharp and full of flava flav!
I recently did a boiled one and that was ok though. Nobody complained about it.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby howard » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:39 pm

whichever method you choose, you won't want a store bought gin anymore.
i have tried both methods and i'm firmly in the maceration camp, it's generally thought to extract every last ounce of flavour from the botanicals.
infusion has it's place for a slightly different flavour, depends what you want.
i bought a glass distilling set and a 5l boiling flask off fleabay to play around with different botanicals.
i don't know how wellsy got any funk, i only use the heart of my hearts collection for gin.
(wellsy, did you do a spirit run with a gin basket?)
it's was good advice to me, to start with odins gin and go on from there.
are you in WA as in Perth or USofA?
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby spudie » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:36 am

Thanks' all.
Odin's now on the to-do list for sure
Howard, Perth WA Oz.
:smile:
spudie

Postby howard » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:20 pm

spudie wrote:Thanks' all.
Odin's now on the to-do list for sure
Howard, Perth WA Oz.
:smile:

ok i'm NOR.
after odin's gin (OEG), if you get keen there are a few things i see crop up all the time.
most of them have a dedicated smallish still to do gin, to play with the botanicals.
some have built them, some have adapted cooking vessels or use glassware like me.
if you get a digital platform scale, get one that measures done to 0.00gms, because you will need that low scale often.
i have a large gin basket with with 2" tri-clover fittings, i don't use often.
if you have the correct fittings, you could try it.
howard

2" modular CM
gin caddy

Postby spudie » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks Howard.
Have to use up some of the stuff I bought before I ever heard about TPW and FFV.
After that I'm in for anything that will get me better at doing it, producing better and of course lower costs.
Will talk for sure re your offer.
rgds Spudie.
spudie

Return to Welcome Centre