Bad smell and taste

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Re: Bad smell and taste

Postby bluc » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:55 pm

If your spirit is 55abv without adding water you added to much tails. On a pot I used to stop my hearts cut round 70% add 5% water age at 65%. Just a rough guide you cant make good cuts by abv.
Did you double distill strip then spirit run?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:21 pm

You can’t make cuts by temp either .
Cuts is where the “art” of distilling comes in and it takes time to learn the smells, the taste and even the feel between your finger tips
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby tigersbeer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:46 am

Yes, I do have a lot to learn. The voltage regulator seemed to control the column temperature though. I just did a spirit run as I thought I would lose to much as I didn't have another batch. I do a lot of reading but all to much for my head all at once.
tigersbeer

equipment: Reflux and pot

Postby Wellsy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:44 am

Tigersbeer first thing is to say well done on getting a spirit out of your run. We have all been there mate where you are almost overwhelmed by what you have to learn. Re read the cuts section in the newbies guide. The first few times it is exceptionally daunting. The ABV will give you a good idea on where to start looking to make your cuts but every run will be a little different. On my pot still tails used to kick in around the 70% - 65% as has been said. Don’t get hung up on descriptions and your nose will adjust,or more correctly you will get better at recognising what you are smelling. Heads for me is always nail polish, never been able to smell wet dog in the tails but I kn9w the smell. Let your cuts breath for a day if you can as your senses will be overloaded if you try and do it when you finish your run. Hang in there and remember it will get easier mate. Well done again on getting booze, next step is drinkable booze lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby tigersbeer » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:07 pm

Should I leave this on oak, throw it, or charcoal filter and hopefully get some neutral.
tigersbeer

equipment: Reflux and pot

Postby bluc » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Charcoal may help clean up the tails. Then put it on oak. If you have a reflux column you could make neutral but would be waste of flavoured ingrediants. Unless of course your a fan of vodka neutral
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Welcome Centre