Oh hi, how are you?

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Oh hi, how are you?

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Hello from the western side of the country.
Been reading lots and haven't really needed to sign up to ask any questions - coz the info is already out there.
But thought i might as well to say thanks to those that provide all the great info for noobs.

I bought a still few weeks ago - a guy at work explained his airstill, and after a little bit of reading i one-upped him and got the T500 (before i knew the difference between pot and reflux - luckily i like my vodka)
Cleaning/test runs found the vapour path blocked with silicon sealant, and the seal between the lid and column was leaking - such shoddy workmanship and lame quality control - never spending a further cent and any Still Spirits products ever - i would recommend any other new started do the same and avoid Still Spirits completely
Thankfully it's all working well now. (and the SS rep never replied to me after his first email - crap customer service too)
I've since insulated the column, thickened the column seal ring with PTFE and will head to Reece on the weekend and hopefully get some copper pipe to replace the collection tube.
For future runs I plan to use a water pump from our 3000L water tank for the coolant - with separate lines for condenser and column.

The turbo wash from the "starter pack" has been run - it's certainly not the best, but it's drinkable - however i'm definitely looking forward to running a 50L TPW that's just settling now. Also started a WPOSW on the weekend.

Gonna see how crap my soldering skills are and try to build a parrot :p
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Re: Oh hi, how are you?

Postby Frank » Fri May 25, 2012 5:14 pm

NotBenStiller wrote:....- a guy at work explained his airstill, and after a little bit of reading i one-upped him and got the T500....

Hi UnBen
welcome and the TPW/WPOSW will do you good for sure.
Re your comment above, did your Airstilling mate GAF??? ;-) :whistle:
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Fri May 25, 2012 5:17 pm

G'day Mate,

Welcome :-D

Sounds like you've had a few issues with your HBS still but have sorted yourself out.

Quite a few guys here have the unit you have.

The Tomato Paste Wash is sooooooo easy, and have a look at the DWWG ( wheat germ ) too, it takes more time but is still simple enough.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Fri May 25, 2012 5:35 pm

Welcome bloke,

glad you had the sense to check the still out...saved a lot of drama

Sounds like your under way..or hooked ?

enjoy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby NotBenStiller » Fri May 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Frank wrote:did your Airstilling mate GAF??? ;-)

GAF??

bt1 wrote:Welcome bloke,

glad you had the sense to check the still out...saved a lot of drama

Sounds like your under way..or hooked ?

enjoy
bt1

Ah yes that could have been disastrous
But yes - i'd say hooked already :handgestures-thumbupleft:
NotBenStiller

Postby MacStill » Fri May 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Welcome aboard :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Fuck Reece, try a few local sand gropers for a meter of 3/8 tube for your take off..... might even have a bit myself ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Fri May 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi ya Ben well your not the only fella who's had problems with that still by what I see on here , glad ya got it sorted . don't be shy to ask things some cluey ppl here and let everyone know what you get up to cheers :text-offtopic: WTF is goig on with all the Westies :shock: its like 7 to 1 lately use got 100% grog tarif over there or what
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Kimbo » Fri May 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Gday Ben,
Welcome to the forum mate, are you NOR or SOR?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Fri May 25, 2012 11:32 pm

NotBenStiller wrote:Cleaning/test runs found the vapour path blocked with silicon sealant, and the seal between the lid and column was leaking - such shoddy workmanship and lame quality control - never spending a further cent and any Still Spirits products ever - i would recommend any other new started do the same and avoid Still Spirits completely

Hi NotBenStiller,
While quite a few people have problems with their T500, from what I have found they all seem to be related to leaking around the column. I think you may have bought an exceptionally faulty unit. I recently had problems with my T500 leaking, not a bad leak, but it shouldn't of happened. From the time I contacted the place of purchase, I had a replacement shipped to me direct from the WA supplier in about a week, so my experience with them was very good, and I think they are good unit for learning.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby NotBenStiller » Sat May 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Lol, stop calling me ben - i'm *not*benstiller :))
(sorry lame joke heheh)

croweater wrote: WTF is goig on with all the Westies :shock: its like 7 to 1 lately use got 100% grog tarif over there or what

Yeah we get extra ripped for everything here.
Cost wise, Australia spreads it's cheeks for the world.... and then WA spreads its cheeks for the rest of Australia :o
I was in holiday in Japan last month - i saw 700mL bottles of Smirnoff for ~$13 and Baileys for ~$10 (AUD)

Kimbo wrote:Gday Ben,
Welcome to the forum mate, are you NOR or SOR?

NoR

McStill wrote:Fuck Reece, try a few local sand gropers

Too late - went there this morning. (at least it wasn't bunnings)
Got some pipe for the take off - and some pipe, reducers and solder to have a go at making a parrot.
There was even a junior/apprentice type guy there called.... Reece. Awesome.
(with the extra 25mm pipe i'll even have a go at smashing something out to replace the plastic cap on the T500)
NotBenStiller

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 8:58 pm

NotBenStiller wrote:Lol, stop calling me ben - i'm *not*benstiller :))
(sorry lame joke heheh)

ha they Just need something short and snappy looks like it was Ben .... Not :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :-| sorry another lame joke :teasing-tease:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 6:09 am

NotBenStiller wrote:There was even a junior/apprentice type guy there called.... Reece. Awesome.

Not as good as this one...

fail-owned-first-name-fail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Welcome Centre