And here's another one with a T500

Say Hi and introduce yourself

And here's another one with a T500

Postby dermie72 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:31 am

GDay all,
Adam from NSW..went down the T500 path as well..bog std starter kit and am 6 days into my first sugar wash using the seemingly much maligned turbo yeast. Reading and re-reading just to make sure I've got it right and don't end up with paint stripper on the first go.... or blow the house up..! The Mrs already thinks I'm running a meth lab.. can't afford any more negative press..
Anyway - really appreciate the time you guys take to inform and encourage your distilling community.. keep up the good work and I'll continue to absorb as much good advice as I can..
dermie72

equipment: Turbo 500..

Re: And here's another one with a T500

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum dernie :handgestures-thumbupleft:

now use that turd polishing yeast (turbo) as your cleaning run and get on reading this forum and keep reading which will get you on the right path to making the best :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:22 pm

Welcome dermie
Many here make good product with their t500, most prefer to save the money and get better results from the cheaper super market options in the tried and proven recipe section.
There is a good topic on running the t500 so have a read of that mate and ask lots of questions
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Welcome to AD dermie.

The T500 is certainly capable of making good booze, most people tend to outgrow it's capabilities fairly quickly though.

It's definitely worth looking at the recipes in the tried and proven section; TPW, WBAB and Teddy's FFV are all good candidates.

Have a read of this and the linked threads therein to help you get the best of your T500.

Cheers,
Prof, Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:29 pm

:text-+1:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby dermie72 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:03 pm

Thanks for the welcome and replies, guys.
Hopefully will do a distilling run this weekend and then have a crack at some of the other methods asap..
dermie72

Postby Wellsy » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:44 pm

Take your time and read through the proven recipe to decide. Once you know what you want to produce plenty will offer suggestions mate but remember that’s all they are suggestions. At the end of the day you are the one that will be making and drinking what you decide. Given your set up I assume you will be chasing a nice neutral. I have brewed the WBAB wheat bix all bran recipe but I was using a pot still so my product keeps more of the original flavour and found it really good. Many guys with your gear swear by the tpw tomato paste recipe. Don’t be put off by the thought of light tomato soup lol. TPW will give you a very nice neutral with a hint of sweetness I have been told.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby dermie72 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:18 am

Sound's good Wellsy...heading to the Recipes page right now for a basic TPW...cheers
dermie72

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:55 am

G'Day Dernie :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Mate it's great to see your headed down the right path :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now as you know the T-500 can only make a neutral and many newbies say putting neutral on oak makes a bourbon :scared-eek: but what many people don't know as the t-500 does produce 90% + neutral, tinctures can play a bit part for flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Lets say you want to make a panty dropper :laughing-rolling: so cut up some strawberries and pour some 90% in along with a bit of sugar :handgestures-thumbupleft: after a couple of days pour out the liquid and add more 90% until the berries are exhausted.

Now add this tincture slowly as the flavour will get away from you if you add too much but I reckon SWMBO will love it and say your on the right path.

In order to make brown spirits you will need a pot still and the 5 star 2" pot still is a great quality entry still at a bargain price that will serve you a long time :handgestures-thumbupleft: Well until you feel the need to goto 4" :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So mate with your first TPW run think about tintures to flavour and forget the essence flavours from the HBS as they are over priced rubbish. If one can learn to make their own flavour additions for nothing it is the way to go for flavouring neutral.

most of all read read and read did I say read :laughing-rolling: and soon the knowledge you gain will get you on the path of making great spirits. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Return to Welcome Centre