Hey All From Vic

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Hey All From Vic

Postby ChefRo » Sat May 26, 2012 9:43 pm

Just a quick shout out to every one on the forum. I used to stalk this forum and HD and i think its about time to get back into the game. I had lots of success with UJSM and a kind of All bran/corn flake washes. Soon i will be getting my ass into gear and will be throwing together a bok. I allready have 2.5m of 2.5inch copper, a 2200 watt heating element and an unlimed supply of 50 l kegs.
I am now thinking of going with gas for a heat source. Which leaves me to the problem of a coil ( I cant be assed, and dont have the time to make one) and where to get ss flanges and a needle valve from. Any help would be much aprieceated.

I was also considering making the bok head attach to a 1 m extension via ss flanges. So total length would be 1.5 m. In theory i could just use the head and open the needle valve fully and have a almost pot still like function for stripping. then attach the head to the 1 m (packed) extension and use this for low wines.

Any way i have learnt so much from the fourms in the past and hopefully i can offer some help to people now my self. The only problem is time......

To sum it up 1)Who makes coils???
2)A sorce for ss nedle vales and ss flanges.
3) Should i just skip the Bok idea and go for a vm type still
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Re: Hey All From Vic

Postby Kimbo » Sat May 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi ChefRo,
welcome to the forum mate,
I'd be interested to hear more about your Recipes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 pm

ChefRo wrote:
To sum it up 1)Who makes coils???
2)A sorce for ss nedle vales and ss flanges.
3) Should i just skip the Bok idea and go for a vm type still

1. me :D
2. mrs mac for the valve & 5Star for the ferrules ;-)
3. bok or VM wont matter (IMHO) but build a stripping still either way :handgestures-thumbupleft:

4. welcome to our disjointed, malfunctional, intoxicated, & humorous part of the underweb :clap:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby crow » Sat May 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi ChefRo , should have fun making the bok I didn't make mine but the first time I pulled it apart I thought WTF :shock: who couldn't make this . So your in Vic hey yeah me too I'm in the Ballarat District , not in Ballarat thank fuck but not too far out
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby ChefRo » Sat May 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Might get in touch with you soon for a price on the coil Mcstill, any rough ball park figure for say 12 inch double.
Recipes off the top of my head were 5.5ksugar, 1/4 box allbran, 1/4 box corn flakes a bit of DAP for a 28 ish l batch. It got to the point where i didnt really measure any thing it just all worked. But now some of my stock is 1 + years old and depleting very quickly i think its time to go hard.
My ultimate fav was what i called CRUM - Christmas Rum. Even though the base was 45% neutral or un oaked Cornflake. To a 700 ml bottle i would add
1 Bay leaf
3-4 cloves
1 cardimon pod
5-10 pepper corns
Macerate on the 45% and take off after 1-5 weeks. Its allmost like drinking christmas pudding. Its great to mix with home made ginger beer, (and knocks your socks off too)
I will have too dig up the books for others but they include mush stick liquor, strawberry, peach ect.

When i am all set up i have found a source for 150 l drums and a very cheap supply of strawberrys. So plans was / is 3 ferments 100l each.
1st one i havent decided the type of yeast yet but thinking champagne type. Ferment to 14 % or so and clear and have a strawberry type wine.
2nd will be like above but will be kept aside
3 will be used to run thru a pot still and most mixed back into the 2nd lot to create a strawberry brandy.

Big ambitions i know but with a big family and me not liking to do things in half steps i should be able to pull it off.
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Postby R-sole » Sun May 27, 2012 6:17 am

Sounds like a great plan :smile:

StrawberryBrandyMMMMPunkin
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Welcome Centre